After getting involved in a shootout in Valentine, Arthur rides back to camp to find the gang packing up. Dutch tells Arthur that Micah told him of a new spot at Dewberry Creek, and ordered Arthur to take Charles with him to check it out.
Upon reaching the creek, the pair noted it was a poor spot, and found a man dead in the dried up lake. They found a small camp nearby, and found a small German family hiding under a wagon. The family could hardly speak any English. However, the daughter managed to communicate that the father had been kidnapped. Arthur doesn't want to look for him, but Charles convinces him, and the two ride off to search for the man.
They follow a horse trail, and reach an area by the lake. They find the man tied up, but it turns out to be a trap. Once the assault has been put down, Arthur unties the man and takes him back to his family. While riding back, he tells Arthur his family runs a gold mining business, and he was being held for ransom. Arthur doesn't understand what the man is saying, as he is speaking in German. Once returning him to his family, Arthur tells them to go, but before they do, the man gives Arthur a gold bar as a token of appreciation for rescuing him.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Return the captive to his family within 1 minute and 40 seconds.
- Get 5 headshots.
- Complete with at least 80% accuracy.
- Complete the mission without taking any health items.
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills, or abandons Charles;
- Assaults or kills the family;
- Assaults, kills, or abandons the hostage;
- Kills their horse;
Completing this mission and chapter contributes toward the following Trophies/Achievements:
Complete Chapter 2
Earn 70 Gold Medals in Story missions.
Attain 100% Completion.
- Immediately before this mission, Hosea can be heard talking to Dutch, where he says, "Turned into a bunch of killers, I mean it" - a line which Arthur remembers in "A Fork in the Road" if his Honor is low. After this mission, Hosea can be found at a random campfire event at night, when he says, "My Pa used to say if you stare into the fire long enough, you can see the whole world pass by". Arthur remembers this line during his final ride in the "Red Dead Redemption" mission if his Honor is low.
- During the mission, Arthur tells Charles that Dutch would never hide himself, or the gang, in a cave as it was against everything Dutch stood for. Ironically, the gang's final hideout is connected to a cave.