According to the cries of her spectral form, Agnes fell in love with a man that her parents did not approve of, who had a previous relationship with another woman. After Agnes got pregnant from him, he tried to abandon her. Although Agnes dissuaded her suitor from following his prior relationship, she was unable to convince her father that her partner was worthy of her. This ultimately resulted in the elder Dowd drawing a weapon and killing him, to Agnes' dismay.
Although the course and conclusion of this confrontation are unknown, Agnes allegedly had a mental breakdown, murdered her father in revenge and took her own life after the death of her suitor. A simple tombstone bearing her name, age and alleged crimes stands among others in the Shady Belle private graveyard.
Events of Red Dead Redemption 2
Agnes can be seen as a ghost in Bluewater Marsh between 9 pm and 3 am, usually during foggy weather.
She can be encountered 16 times and will disappear if the player comes too close to her.
At each encounter, she will re-live the events of her lifestory which led to her death, which shall be in random order.
In the last encounter, she will talk to the player and invite him to know the tree by which she hanged herself.
- Agnes Dowd is very similar to the ghost of Jolene Cranley-Evans from Grand Theft Auto V, another title by Rockstar Games, as they both are ghosts of women who died tragically and who only appear at night and disappear when approached by the player.
- In Chapter 4, Reverend Swanson, visibly spooked and disturbed, shall approach other gang members saying that he has seen ghosts, and when interacted with, he will claim to have seen "the ghost of a young lady, a woman in white" around the marsh.
- The description used by Swanson for her ("woman in white") may be a reference to a Hispanic American folkloric legend about a woman who killed herself out of love, named La Llorona in Hispanic America and Woman in White in the United States. Many versions of what drove her into suicide exists, the most famous being the one which she murdered her children after being abandoned by her husband.
- A gravestone bearing her name can be found just behind Shady Belle, among a group of tombstones. It reads: Agnes Dowd, aged 19, tragically took her life and others. It is unknown which other people Dowd killed, if its just a metaphor, or whether this account of events is true.
- The date of her death - September 4th, 1883 - is two weeks before the massacre that killed the residents of Pleasance.
- A lock-box and gallow noose can be found at the tree next to which her ghost appears.
- In the last encounter, a Ghost Orchid may spawn on the tree by which she hanged herself.
- She can be encountered by either Arthur or John.
|Points of Interests in Red Dead Redemption 2|
|Abandoned Church • Abandoned Trading Post • Barrel Rider • Bolger Glade • Braithwaites’ Secret • Brush Fire • Circus Wagons • Crashed Airship • Defaced Grave • Donkey Lady • Face in Cliff • Faces in Trees • Flying Machine • Fossilized Man • Frozen Settler • Giant Remains • Gray’s Secret • Hermit Woman • Hidden Tunnel • Jesuit Missionary • Mammoth • Manmade Mutant • Meditating Monk • Meteor House • Meteorite • Mysterious Hill Home • Native Burial • Obelisk • Oil Derrick • Old Tomb • Old World Scripts • Pagan Ritual • Phonograph • Pleasance • Register Rock • Serpent Mound • Sperm Whale Bones • Strange Statues • Strange Statues (Cave Painting) • Tiny Church • Trading Post • Trail Trees (I) • Trail Trees (II) • Trail Trees (III) • Trail Trees (IV) • Warped Tree • Whale Bones • Wickiup • Withered Arm|
|Ambarino • Lemoyne • New Austin • New Hanover • West Elizabeth • Locations|