At some point prior to 1898, Alden became a clerk at Rhodes Train Station. He is affiliated with his counterpart in Strawberry, Hector Barlow, as well as Josiah Trelawny. Alden is extremely well-informed of events in Rhodes and the surrounding area and is always friendly towards the player.
Events of Red Dead Online
Alden becomes an associate of the protagonist shortly after they are broken out of prison. Upon instruction of Horley, they meet with him to receive a tip on a stagecoach robbery that had recently occurred. Before they depart to claim the stolen goods for themselves, he also gifts them with a Wheeler Rawson catalogue they can use to purchase items.
Following this, Alden can be found at either the Valentine Station, the Van Horn Depot, or the Annesburg Station, and will offer delivery, recovery, escort, and hunting missions to the player. Accepting his missions increases the player's honor.
Events of Red Dead Redemption 2
For the most part, Alden performs the same tasks as a regular clerk; train ticket sales, repaying bounties and sending or receiving mail.
In the mission "Friends in Very Low Places", Josiah Trelawny introduces Alden to Arthur. After a brief conversation, Alden gives Trelawny a piece of paper with a stagecoach robbery tip on it, while wishing the pair good luck and telling Arthur to visit him again sometime for more stagecoach robbery tips. With their information, Arthur and Trelawny rob the coach of Chester Damsen.
At any time after this, the player can visit Alden for more stagecoach robbery tips. In exchange for $2, Alden gives the protagonist a slip of paper with the information on it and tells the player where to find the targeted stagecoach. After a number of these robberies have been completed, Alden tells the player that, due to the risk of him being caught becoming too great, he must disband his union of "discouraged men", and the player will no longer be able to get stagecoach tips from him (although the player can still receive robbery tips from Hector in Strawberry if they haven’t yet exhausted them), although Alden continues to work at the train station.
Alden also appears in various side missions. In the stranger mission "The Mercies of Knowledge", Alden aids the player by giving them the location of an incoming wagon of Moonshine. In "The Ties That Bind Us", the player can ask him about Sampson Black and Wendell White. In addition, he also appears in "The Course of True Love V", Arthur greets him as he is getting train tickets for Beau and Penelope. In "The Noblest of Men, and a Woman", the player asks Alden about the whereabouts of the gunslinger Billy Midnight. Alden tells him that he is usually drinking in the bar carriage, and suggests that the player could check the next train to arrive in the station.
Also, due to the fact that bounty posters in Rhodes are located inside the train station, the player can ask Alden for information about the bounty targets Mark Johnson, Robbie Laidlaw and Camille de Millemont.
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- "Further Questions of Female Suffrage"
- "Friends in Very Low Places"
- "The Mercies of Knowledge II"
- "The Course of True Love V"
- "The Noblest of Men, and a Woman"
- "The Ties That Bind Us"
Red Dead Online
- Caravan Escorts
- Alden also appears to be affiliated with Seamus, the Fence at Emerald Ranch. In the second stagecoach robbery tip, Alden asks the player to commandeer the targeted stagecoach and deliver to his "contact", Seamus, suggesting that the two know each other.
- The bartender of the Rhodes Parlor House can be heard making a comment about Alden's sexuality. "That dandy who works at the train station sure enjoys the company of other gentlemen." Alden talks in a stereotypically effeminate manner.
- During "Friends in Very Low Places," Alden tells Trelawny "my Mrs. is a bad woman. A terrible woman." implying that he is married.