Ambarino is one of the five American territories in Red Dead Redemption 2, and the highest elevated place.
The territory is characterized by mountains, spots of water, and steep cliffs. Most of the area is covered in dense snow, frozen bodies of water, and glaciers. It is one of the few regions that are untamed and unexplored due to the sparse number of inhabitants living in the area.
Ambarino is a massive area divided into two constituent regions: Grizzlies East and Grizzlies West. Between the two divisions, Grizzlies West is the more dangerous territory to explore due to its area being surrounded by mountain ranges. Grizzlies East, on the other hand, is rockier and more forested, with sparse snow cover and an isolated Indian reservation situated in the area.
This is the territory where the player first begins the game following the journey in the opening cinematic. The player is limited to Grizzlies West up until the next chapter because of persistent blizzards obstructing further exploration.
Crossing the region is often perilous and challenging as the area is mostly isolated and teeming with deadly wildlife especially wolves and bears. The land is unsuitable for settlement due to the occasional snowstorms and impenetrable geography. As such, there is a noticeable lack of permanent settlements, barring the abandoned mining town Colter in the northwestern part of the region, and the Wapiti Indian Reservation, located farther east towards Cumberland Forest.
In Grizzlies West, snow covers the entire region. Snow-capped mountains, mostly impassable, rest within the area. It is one of the highly elevated regions in the game. Temperatures in this region are generally below freezing. Grizzlies West is seemingly based off of the Grand Tetons of Wyoming, with influences of Idaho, Montana, and Colorado.
Grizzlies East is generally more forested than Grizzlies West, with slightly higher temperatures; usually above zero but in single figures (Celsius). Grizzlies East is likely based on parts of northwestern Wyoming, specifically the Wind River Mountains and Yellowstone. It also is likley influenced by the Black Hills mountain range in western South Dakota.
Red Dead Redemption 2
The game's opening cinematic begins with Arthur Morgan and the rest of the Van der Linde gang arriving in the region after being chased out by lawmen in Blackwater. Morgan and the gang shelter in Colter, northern Ambarino in Grizzlies West, waiting for the blizzards to subside. The gang later leave the area during the mission "Eastward Bound".
The gang visit the territory again in Chapter 6, where they help the Wapiti Indians in their conflict against the US Army. Morgan also visits the Wapiti Indian Reservation to help Rains Fall and Captain Monroe.
The territory is visited one last time during the final epilogue mission, where John Marston, Charles Smith and Sadie Adler locate Micah Bell at Mount Hagen. Thanks to Dutch's assistance, John manages to kill Micah and avenge Morgan's death, as well as the the disbandment of the original gang.
Locations in Ambarino
- Adler Ranch
- Barrow Lagoon
- Beartooth Beck
- Cairn Lake
- Cairn Lodge
- Cattail Pond
- Chez Porter
- Clawson's Rest
- Deadboot Creek
- Dodd's Bluff
- Dormin Crest
- Ewing Basin
- Granite Pass
- Lake Isabella
- Micah's Hideout
- Millesani Claim
- Mount Hagen
- Planters Baun
- Spider Gorge
- Tempest Rim
- Whinyard Strait
- Window Rock
- Ambarino is the only American state without any towns or cities, although it used to have one in the form of Colter, before it was abandoned.
- It is possible there may be more unseen areas of Ambarino which have towns/cities and a capital, as more areas of West Elizabeth were revealed in Red Dead Redemption 2.
- The wanted poster for The Wolf Man in Red Dead Online reads: "Proclamation of the Governor of Ambarino", confirming that Ambarino is its own political entity and alluding to the possibility of it having other settlements, as somewhere without any civilisation would be unlikely to have its own government.
- Ambarino is mostly based on the real life state of Colorado, and their names share a similar etymology; in the Spanish language, ambarino means "amber", whereas colorado means "reddish".
- The gunslinger Flaco Hernández can be found in Grizzlies West, Ambarino, as part of the stranger mission “The Noblest of Men, and a Woman”.