American Venom is the final mission of the epilogue and concludes the main storyline in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Sadie, Charles, and John ride from Beecher's Hope to Strawberry, where they find Cleet. The trio threatens to hang him if he doesn't reveal Micah's whereabouts and, in the end, Cleet reveals that Micah and his gang are at Mount Hagen. John can then choose to hang Cleet or, otherwise, Cleet will be shot dead by Sadie.
The three travel to Mount Hagen, but as they begin to ascend the mountain, Charles is shot in the shoulder by a sniper and wounded. Sadie and John take cover and fight their way up the mountain with Charles in tow. At some point during the journey up the mountain, a group of Micah's men ambush them, and Sadie is stabbed in the torso before getting saved when her attacker is shot by Charles. Afterwards, she tells John that she isn’t dying and merely needs to rest, prompting him to keep going. Almost immediately, John is confronted by Joe and two other members of Micah's Gang but, in a single moment, Joe and allies are gunned down by Marston, allowing the latter to continue on.
Marston finally reaches Micah, and engages him in a gunfight after a short conversation. While the two men are in a deadlock with neither able to gain the upper hand, Sadie manages to flank Micah from behind and holds him at gunpoint, forcing him to surrender. Before anything else can happen, Dutch appears all of a sudden, which causes Sadie to let her guard down from being so surprised. Seeing his chance, Micah subdues Sadie and holds her hostage, putting one gun to her head and aiming the other at John. Dutch also points one of his guns at John, resulting in a Mexican standoff between the three. John begs Dutch to help him, saying that he always did his best for him in the gang. Dutch eventually shoots Micah in the chest and holsters his guns. Shocked, Micah then tries to shoot John and Dutch, but John is quicker and shoots Micah multiple times, sealing his fate. Micah staggers for a few steps before collapsing dead in the snow, after which Dutch leaves, ignoring any attempt to thank him. John and Sadie then find a fortune of money and gold inside the cabin, with most of it presumably being from the Blackwater ferry robbery that took place eight years prior.
John, Sadie, and Charles ride back to the ranch, where they find Abigail and Jack. John tells her that it’s done, and the two finally get married. Charles and Sadie then depart, and are never seen again.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Help Sadie catch Cleet within 35 seconds.
- Headshot the sniper who shoots Charles.
- Complete with at least 85% accuracy.
- Complete the mission without taking any health items.
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills, or abandons Sadie or Charles;
- Allows Sadie or Charles to die;
- Kills Cleet prematurely;
- Alerts the law;
- Attacks or kills their horse;
- Cleet - Either hanged by John or shot in the head by Sadie, after revealing Micah's whereabouts.
- Joe - Killed by John Marston while attempting to impede his journey to Micah's location.
- Micah Bell - Jointly killed by Dutch van der Linde and John Marston, in revenge for betraying the original gang and ultimately causing Arthur's death.
- Various members of Micah's gang - Killed by John, Sadie and Charles.
- The dialogue when John, Charles and Sadie are riding will change depending on Arthur's honor. If Arthur had high honor, Charles will ask, "You think Arthur cared about revenge? I'm not so sure... especially not at the end"; if Arthur had low honor, Charles will say, "Revenge is something Arthur would have stood behind."
- Should John decide to spare Cleet after threatening to hang him, he will gain some Honor for sparing him (though Sadie will get angry and kill Cleet anyway).
- If Arthur previously slashed Micah's eye with a knife in the mission "Red Dead Redemption" as a result of having high Honor and going back for the money, Micah can be seen with a scar covering his eye when John confronts him. Micah still calls him "scarface", a retort that John throws back at him.
- The "Endless Summer" achievement/trophy, earned upon completion of the main storyline, is a reference to the endgame chapter of another Rockstar game, Bully.
- After the mission is over, John and Abigail are seen conversing on the hill looking over the ranch; this very hill is used as John, Abigail, and Uncle's graves years later.
- Once John reaches the mountain, he will change into the Winter Cowboy outfit, including Arthur's hat, suggesting John consciously chose to wear it for the confrontation. The player can still change their outfit by equipping one from their horse, however.
- The music that plays during the final shooting section of this mission is a remix of the original main theme from the soundtrack of Red Dead Redemption.
- In the credits that play after this mission, during the sequences that feature Edgar Ross and Archer Fordham, one can notice that they are both wearing Pinkerton badges despite the fact that an in-game newspaper that can be read before this mission confirms Ross was recently appointed to the Bureau of Investigation and would therefore no longer be a part of the Pinkerton Detective Agency. This is likely a developer oversight.
- When the player approaches Micah's cabin, a rat can be seen scurrying out.
- At Strawberry on the gallows you can hear Charles Smith on crowd control saying something similar to the crowd about Sadie Adler: "That woman up there is the best bounty hunter alive, she can do whatever she pleases." and/or "My boss is the best bounty hunter, she can do this" (not exact quotes). Charles' dialog is very quiet and Sadie and John speak over him so it makes listening to him very hard.
- Dutch telling John he had been at Micah's hideout for the same reason strongly suggests that Dutch was all along planning to kill Micah.
- In a unique scenario that cannot be seen under normal circumstances, if John has invincibility (with the use of mods) and kills Dutch, Micah will respond with "Always was slow..", then throws Sadie to the ground and executes her, resulting in mission failure. Should John instead kill Micah, Dutch will shoot him and say "Oh... son...". If the latter happens, Sadie will just fall over and die after Micah does instead of being executed, again resulting in mission failure. These cannot be seen in a normal version of the game because killing either Dutch or Micah will result in the other immediately killing John.
Completing this mission, chapter and storyline contributes toward the following Trophies/Achievements:
Complete the Epilogue
Earn 70 Gold Medals in Story missions.
Attain 100% Completion.
- Both scenarios can be seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVvljS-qJOk.