An American Pastoral Scene is a mission in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Following a tip-off, Micah and Arthur rob a banking stagecoach.
To start this mission, Arthur meets Micah at his camp near Strawberry, where Micah asks for his assistance in robbing a banking coach heading towards Strawberry, as a way to repay Arthur for his help in escaping jail.
Arthur follows Micah on horseback until they make it to their destination - a ridge, overlooking where the coach should come through. On the way, the two share a mostly belligerent conversation in which they argue about various things.
After they reach the destination, the pair ambush the coach and take out all of the guards and the driver, before hijacking it and driving it away. Arthur takes the reins, and Micah gives him a Lancaster Repeater to use, saying "that's more your style than mine".
Things seem to be going well, but once the duo get close to the Dakota River, O'Driscolls attack them and try to commandeer it for themselves, cutting down a tree to block the road. In the chaos, the carriage is blown up by a stick of dynamite, and the two are thrown into the river. Arthur and Micah manage to successfully eliminate their rival outlaws in the ensuing gunfight, with the few remaining O'Driscolls fleeing.
After the robbers are taken out, Arthur meets with Micah at the overturned bank coach. At Micah's request, Arthur shoots the lock and opens the lockbox, which contains a hefty take. The two split the loot between them and then ride their seperate ways back to camp.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Headshot each of the mounted guards protecting the wagon.
- Get 10 kills in Dead Eye.
- Complete within 6 minutes.
- Complete the mission without taking any health items.
- After eliminating all guards, players should let the coach continue moving for a while. This can help minimize the time that the coach will be driven by Micah, as he drives quite slowly, which likely causes players to miss the Gold Medal Objective. However, if players wait too long, the coach will end up falling off the cliff.
- The best moment to stop the coach is after it moves past a train rail into the forest.
- Cutscenes count toward the total mission time, so they must be skipped to meet the 6 minute Gold Medal Objective.
- While Dead Eye slows in-game time, it does not slow the mission timer, so quick and efficient use of Dead Eye is recommended to complete the mission within the strict 6 minute limit. For example, line up headshots with aim assist and only enter Dead Eye to confirm the shot.
- If you use Dead Eye to take out the four riders, the guard on the carriage, and the driver, you'll have 6 Dead Eye kills going into the river shootout. Kill the first four O'Driscolls with Dead Eye, then one-shot the rest as quickly as possible.
- Explosive Rounds can be used for fast one-shot kills during the river shootout (not possible in Replay mode)
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills, or abandons Micah;
- Allows Micah to die;
- Destroys the coach before it’s scripted destruction;
- Abandons the coach;
- Kills or abandons their horse;
- Stagecoach guards - Killed by Arthur and Micah while attempting to defend the banking stagecoach.
- Numerous O'Driscolls - Killed by Arthur and Micah while attempting to rob the stolen banking stagecoach.
Missable Items in the Mission
- Liberty Hat
- It is possible to obtain a Lancaster Repeater from the guards before Micah gives the weapon to Arthur. This way the player will have two Lancaster Repeaters in their weapon inventory.
- If the player strays too far from Micah during both shootouts they will be killed with one shot, no matter their health.
- If the player takes too long to shoot the coach's lock, Micah will do it himself after expressing his impatience.
- After the mission ends, staying next to the river too long will trigger a response from the law.
- In this mission, the Lancaster Repeater makes a different noise than it does during free roam.
Background Music Played in the Mission
- "An American Pastoral Scene" - Played when Arthur and Micah are out to rob a stagecoach.