|“||Allows you to view faraway objects.||„|
The binoculars were a valuable tool for any frontiersman during the time period of Red Dead Redemption. They can be used to survey and scout surrounding areas, and to spot prey and enemies. The binoculars lend themselves to almost every frontier profession. Once obtained (surprisingly late in the course of the campaign) this basic tool is carried by John Marston at all times. They are only required to be used once, in the same mission where they are obtained and are never necessary again.
When equipped, binoculars will extend your field of vision and allow you to spot animals, enemies or places far off in the distance.
Red Dead Redemption
These trusty field glasses can be earned by completing the mission "At Home With Dutch". Equip them through the Kit menu in the satchel. Binoculars are exclusive to the main storyline and cannot be obtained by the player in Undead Nightmare or Multiplayer.
Red Dead Redemption 2
Unlike its prequel, binoculars are given to the player at the start of the game and they can be used during missions and for hunting. It can be found in the Kit section of the Item Wheel.
Red Dead Online
In Red Dead Online, binoculars are available for purchase at any Gunsmith or through the Catalog for $28.00, once the player reaches Rank 20.
- When Marston is standing up and uses the Binoculars, he takes them off the satchel and looks through them. However, if Marston is crouching or wielding a weapon, the Binoculars will have no delay between selection and actual viewing.
- If the player presses the start button while looking through the Binoculars, they will not be able to access the Pause Menu, instead, the game will pause as if it were an animation.
- The binoculars possess the same amount of zoom as both scoped rifles.
- NPCs can often be seen using binoculars in various towns.
- When using the "Jack Attack" cheat before completing the "At Home With Dutch" mission the player will not receive the binoculars. Replaying the mission through the stats screen does not fix this.
- In the game stats, there is a listing of how much time the player has spent viewing the world through the Binoculars.
- Strangely, the main website of Red Dead Redemption says that "these trusty field glasses (binoculars) can be purchased at certain general stores across the frontier," though this is not so in the game.
- Even Dutch shoots the binoculars and Marston drops them, they are automatically gifted to player upon completion of the mission; it is unknown why a purchase from a store isn't required first.
- If an NPC is using the binoculars and you fire a bullet at them, the binoculars will deflect the shot.[verified]
- [platforms tag needed] Using the binoculars for the first time whilst riding on horseback may freeze the game, but is easily fixed by selecting the menu a few times and trying to change the weapon.[verification needed]