|“||This killin' machine of yours seems to be turnin' a few heads.||„|
|“||Our armed forces have no equal. We have made incredible progress the past few years. And this isn't much more than a simple prototype. You should see what they're working on in Virginia. Soon there will be no war we can't win.||„|
Red Dead Redemption
In Red Dead Redemption, the Browning Gun appears as a mounted weapon on an early-model armored truck in the mission "And You Will Know The Truth", where it is used by John Marston against Dutch's Gang. It is later featured in the final mission, where it a unique version with a frontal shield is used by Dutch himself. Outside of missions, a Browning is usable from the roof of the player's safehouse in El Matadero and Cochinay in the Single Player campaign. Just like the Gatling Gun, the Browning Gun has unlimited ammunition.
In Undead Nightmare, the Browning can be found in the same locations as in the singleplayer campaign and it still comes with unlimited ammunition. John Marston can apply Phosphorus Coating to the gun's ammo supply to make it extremely effective at killing the undead.
Red Dead Redemption 2
In Red Dead Redemption 2, Agent Milton uses a Browning Gun to assault the Van der Linde gang's camp at Lakay. The Lemoyne Raiders use one against Arthur and Lenny during Preaching Forgiveness as He Went. A bounty hunter in a wagon also uses the gun to attempt to take down Black Belle. Also, US Army Soldiers stationed at Fort Wallace use the gun against the player if they enter the fort. Lemoyne Raiders can also use it in random events and can be seen in a few gang hideouts, such as Hanging Dog Ranch. Finally, Arthur uses one during the mission "Our Best Selves", to defend the train from US Army reinforcements.
- The Browning Gun is based on the real world Browning Model 1917 Machine Gun.
- While John M. Browning patented the design in 1900 and developed a prototype in 1910, the gun used in the game (M1917) is an anachronism since Browning did not produce that variant for the U.S. Army until 1917. The weapon is likely meant to be a stand-in for the period appropriate Maxim gun. To use a Browning machine of the same time, the M1895 would have been around and in service in 1899.
- Archer Fordham mentioned in "And You Will Know The Truth" that the gun would lead America to victory in any war they would fight with this weapon and his prediction was correct. The Browning Gun was by the U.S. military during both World War I & II, wars they did not lose. It was followed by the M1919, which in turn gave birth to the famous Browning M2 .50 cal, the "Ma Deuce".
- After the events of "And The Truth Will Set You Free", Dutch van der Linde's Browning Gun in Cochinay will no longer have armor plating surrounding it, and it will look and act just like a regular Browning Gun.
- After long sustained fire, the Browning Gun in El Matadero will 'overheat' permanently and only be able to fire in bursts.
- In Red Dead Redemption, the Browning Gun and the Gatling Gun are equal in power, but the Browning Gun is more accurate and has a higher rate of fire.
- In Red Dead Redemption 2 the Maxim gun is incorrectly labeled a Gatling Gun, most notably in Fleeting Joy, where Sadie and others refer to it as such. It is most likely that the Gatling was to be used but replaced with the Browning.
- In Redemption 2, the player can use Dead Eye Targeting while using a Browning Gun, although it will fire single shots at a much lower rate of fire instead of its usual full automatic.
- If Ammunition and Arms upgrades for Arthur's wagon are purchased in the camp ledger, Browning gun parts can be seen on the ground behind the wagon.
The Browning Gun can be used to unlock the following Trophies/Achievements:
Kill 500 enemies with a mounted weapon in any game mode
Get 250 headshots in any game mode.
Get a headshot while in Expert Mode in Singleplayer.