Camps are temporary resting points established in the wilderness. In Red Dead Redemption, camps also provide the player with the ability to save the game, change outfits, and fast travel. In Red Dead Redemption 2, camps are further expanded wherein players can avail to a small camp or the main camp - the Van der Linde camp where the player can modify their character, interact with fellow gang members, sleep, do chores or fast travel.
Camps are an essential component in the American West at the time of Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2, due to the distance and travel time between settlements. Camps provide an opportunity for individuals and their horses to eat and rest; campfires are integral to provide light and keep predatory animals away. Rudimentary tents provide shelter from the elements and mild comfort.
Red Dead Redemption
In Red Dead Redemption, two types of camps exist - those established by the player and fixed or random campsites that are often populated with NPCs.
The player can establish a camp anywhere in the wilderness, with the exception of areas close to towns, settlements or gang hideouts, and areas near roads or bodies of water. After establishing a camp, the player can save game progress, change outfits, or fast travel to another destination.
The Basic Campsite that the player begins the game with can be upgraded to the Improved Campsite, which also refills ammunition. This can be purchased at most general stores. Each type is found in the Kit section of the player's inventory.
Campsites exist in some fixed locations and also spawn randomly across the wilderness. Often NPCs will be present at these campsites and the player can choose to rest for a while and hear their tales by the campfire. Sometimes these tales relate to the player's own adventures in Red Dead Redemption. NPCs may also tell stories related to the narrative of Red Dead Revolver.
In a random encounter, one may find a campsite filled with TNT and several people working. If Marston is close enough, he will hear a short conversation between the men, in which one warns the other to be careful with the explosives. A short while later a massive explosion wipes out the camp along with the men, Marston (if he is close enough), and any wildlife unlucky enough to be near the site.
Player campsites are not available in Undead Nightmare.
Non-player camps in Undead Nightmare can be of several different kinds:
- A group of two or more survivors surrounded by a wall of boxes that are holding off a crowd of undead.
- A scientist with a gatling gun and several undead corpses who is trying to find what is making the undead work and how to cure them, but requires a live test subject which can be any type of zombie.
- A person sitting at the campfire with their lover or friend who's turned undead and is tied to a stake in the ground, who can be released and will attack John or the other person.
- A lone person that is eating the flesh of either undead or humans.
The last two are the only types that will have conversations with John about their experiences in the apocalypse. They will even offer John a limb or bone to eat from, which will make him vomit.
Red Dead Redemption 2
In Red Dead Redemption 2, there are three types of camps exist in the game - those established by the player, main camp where the Van der Linde gang resides and fixed or random campsites that are often populated with NPCs.
As they hide from the law, the members of the Van der Linde gang spend their time on various camps around the game world, and perform various small tasks to keep the camp in shape and their morale high. Arthur Morgan can interact with and accept passive missions (such as bringing some coffee to Pearson) from his fellow gang members. He can also bring various hunting goods to feed the gang, and while the player isn't punished for ignoring the rest of the gang, the other members will voice their disappointment if left alone for long periods of time.
Camp membership is fluid, and players may find that members leave or arrive while they are away. Quests can reveal their whereabouts. Time of day also influences whom players may interact with at the camp. While keeping morale high is optional, it provides various benefits, such as additional supplies and bonuses.
Gang Camp Upgrades
The gang camp can be further upgraded to unlock additional features through the ledger. The upgrade list are as follows.
- Strauss's wagon - include more types of tonics.
- Pearson's wagon - include more types of provisions.
- Arthur's wagon - include more types of ammunition and throwable weapons.
- Horse station - allow players to recover their stabled horses.
- Chicken coop
- Leather working tools - give Pearson tools for crafting special satchels.
- Camp boat (only available when the gang relocate to Clemens Point and Shady Belle)
In an attempt to cut down on lengthy travel times, Arthur's tent can be upgraded as a Fast Travel point.
- Near Blackwater (pre-chapter one)
- Colter (until "Eastward Bound")
- Horseshoe Overlook (until "A Strange Kindness")
- Clemens Point (until "The Battle of Shady Belle")
- Shady Belle (until "Banking, The Old American Art")
- Lakay (until "That's Murfree Country")
- Beaver Hollow (until "Red Dead Redemption")
After the missions "Red Dead Redemption", the camp is replaced by Safehouses.
Player-founded camps are further expanded, the player can establish a camp anywhere in the wilderness, with the exception of areas close to towns, settlements or gang hideouts, and areas near roads or bodies of water.
After establishing a camp, the player can save game progress, sleep and rest between days (up to 24 hours), or cook and craft food and materials.
Some items can only be created at the camp's fire. The below details tonics and similar items. Note that cooking recipes have their own page.
Red Dead Online
The player can set up and customize camps. Various themes, such as "survivor" are available for the player to use.
- While it is faster in real time to 'fast travel', using this option advances the game time by six hours.
- If the player sits down at random NPC camp while carrying a hogtied victim, Marston's head will be inside the hogtied person as if the person wasn't there. When getting up, Marston will be carrying the victim as before.
- If the player establishes a camp while near or riding a horse (saddle or not), the campfire will appear with the tent, bed, etc. When dismounted and away from horse, only the campfire will spawn with John Marston.
- ↑ GameSpot (September 20, 2018). Red Dead Redemption 2: All The New Features
- ↑ [IGN (September 20, 2018). We Played 2 Hours of Red Dead Redemption 2 - Here's What Happened