A popular and classic sidearm, the Buck Cattleman is a great all-around revolver, featuring a good balance of damage, accuracy and fire rate. Suited for close to medium-range combat, this gun can also be dual wielded and used on horseback. This gun has an ammo capacity of six rounds, and can use Regular, High Velocity, Split Point, Express and Explosive revolver ammo.
The Cattleman Revolver is a good all-around weapon for most situations. It has high fire rate when fired from the hip, and moderate accuracy, damage and range. It can be upgraded with rifling, which improves the range, as well as a longer barrel and improved iron sights, which improve the accuracy. It can take as many as 3-4 shots to kill an NPC if they are shot in the torso, unless they are shot in the head or torso, in which case a single shot is enough.
In both Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online, this revolver is available from the start of the game. The player can purchase a second model from any gunsmith.
Alternatively, there are multiple free Cattlemans available in story mode: one is dropped by the bison hunter shot by Charles Smith If Arthur chooses to join him in his "Hunting" companion activity (available in Chapter Two); Another is dropped by a gunslinger after a random dueling event in Valentine that spawns just outside of the Travelling Magic Lantern Show, provided the player shoots the other party in the hand or arm. There can also be found one on the corpse of a lady just behind Southfield Flats.
- The Cattleman Revolver is based on Colt Model 1873 Single Action Army Revolver.
- It is often known as "The Peacemaker".
- The Cattleman Revolver is by far the most widely used weapon among various NPCs, Lawmen and bandits. This can be seen as a historical accuracy of the game, as the Colt Model 1873 is generally regarded as the most popular sidearm of the Old West. In addition to the appeal of its reliability and other qualities, its popularity came about in part because by 1877 Colt made models of this weapon that could use ammunition that was compatible with the Winchester Model 1873 repeater (and later the Winchester Model 1892).
- John Marston has his own unique Cattleman Revolver, as well as various other gang members such as Hosea Matthews, Sadie Adler, Kieran Duffy, Sean MacGuire and Lenny Summers, who also have their own unique versions.
- Although the word "cattleman" can be thought of as a pun on the older word "cowboy", the former originated as a serious term in the 1860s with the rise of large ranches and the demands for raising and herding cattle on a large scale.
- Once the player has an Honor rank of +4 or higher (75%+ on the Honor bar), the unique Hero's Pearl Grip will become purchasable at any Gunsmith for this weapon only.
- In Red Dead Online, the Cattleman Revolver along with the Carbine Repeater, are the protagonist's starting weapons.
- ↑ In-game description.