A popular and classic sidearm, the Buck Cattleman is a great all-around revolver, featuring a good balance of damage, accuracy and fire rate. Suited for close to medium-range combat, this gun can also be dual wielded and used on horseback. This gun has an ammo capacity of six rounds, and can use Regular, High Velocity, Split Point, Express and Explosive revolver ammo.
The Cattleman Revolver is a good all-around weapon for most situations. It has high fire rate when fired from the hip, and moderate accuracy, damage and range. It can be upgraded with rifling, a longer barrel and improved iron sights. It often takes 3-4 shots to fell an opponent below the neck, unless one shot is to the neck or head.
In both Story mode and Red Dead Online, this revolver is available from the start of the game. It can also be purchased at all gunsmiths.
- The Cattleman Revolver is based on Colt Model 1873 Single Action Army Revolver.
- It is often known as "The Peacemaker".
- The Cattleman Revolver is by far the most widely used weapon among various NPCs, Lawmen and bandits. This can be seen as a historical accuracy of the game, as the Colt Model 1873 is generally regarded as the most popular sidearm of the Old West. In addition to the appeal of its reliability and other qualities, its popularity came about in part because by 1877 Colt made models of this weapon that could use ammunition that was compatible with the Winchester Model 1873 repeater (and later the Winchester Model 1892).
- John Marston has his own unique Cattleman Revolver, as well as various other gang members such as Hosea Matthews, Sadie Adler, Kieran Duffy, Sean MacGuire and Lenny Summers, who also have their own unique versions.
- Although the word "cattleman" can be thought of as a pun on the older word "cowboy", the former originated as a serious term in the 1860s with the rise of large ranches and the demands for raising and herding cattle on a large scale.
- Once the player has an Honor rank of +4 or higher (75%+ on the Honor bar), the unique Hero's Pearl Grip will become purchasable at any Gunsmith for this weapon only.