Hey there, partner. We managed to clean this mess up a bit after some bandits came by again. Could ya help us out by cleanin' this mess up further? I'd reckon you'd impress the ladies around this town by adding info to it as well.
Charles Kinnear is an inventor with an interest in the flight of birds and replicating it as a human.
Events of Red Dead Redemption
Kinnear can be encountered in Mexico near Roca de Madera with an incomplete glider. Kinnear had come to this location for testing the glider but needed some more parts to complete it. He requires five beaver furs, twenty bird feathers (twelve in the Game of the Year edtion) of any type, and in any combination, and ten Red Sage. Upon fetching the materials for the glider, Kinnear enthusiastically thanks Marston for his contributions. The player is instructed to return to the spot a few days later.
The next time Marston meets Kinnear, he has completed his glider. Kinnear regales Marston with a short speech about the inborn ability of birds to fly and the difficulty man has of replicating it. He gives Marston a final thumbs up, screaming "into the wild blue yonder, Marston!" before leaping off the cliff with a maniacal laugh only to quickly discover his glider was not properly constructed; after a final isolated gasp, Kinnear plummets towards the ground below and dies.
- Red Dead Redemption
- His character shares strong similarities to Franz Reichelt, an inventor who attempted to demonstrate a parachute suit he created himself by jumping off the Eiffel Tower on February 4, 1912, only to fall to his death.
- If the mission is initiated with John Marston and completed with Jack Marston, Kinnear will comment that "The years have been kind to you", indicating that he believes Jack is John. However, he can also greet Jack with, "Were you sent by that nice man?", suggesting otherwise.
- Kinnear shares the same voice as Howard Sawicki.
- Following the conclusion of "Deadalus and Son", the player can investigate the crashed glider at the bottom of the cliff. If, first, the player investigates the glider with the sniper rifle's scope or binoculars, Kinnear's body can be visible near the glider. However, upon visiting the site, Kinnear's body is in front of the glider.
- In "The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed" John and Jack's last conversation covers the invention of the first flying machines. John says "A machine that could turn men into angels" in a sorrowful way, possibly thinking of Charles falling to his death.
- In the Red Dead Redemption 2 Cinema film "One of the Wonders of the Age: Manflight," Kinnear is mentioned alongside his brother and father.
- A cigarette card exists for the manned glider claim that he invented in 1893. In real life, however, the glider was invented by Sir George Cayley in 1853, forty years beforehand. It is unknown if Kinnear was simply unaware of Cayley's achievement decades prior or sought to supplant his predecessor in the annals of history.
- In Red Dead Redemption 2, the name 'Charles Kinnear' is embroidered onto the tail wing of the Crashed Airship, a point of interest in Cholla Springs, New Austin.
Complete a task for a Stranger.
Complete 15 tasks for Strangers.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.