A Cougar is a species of animal found in Red Dead Redemption 2.
The cougar, which is also commonly referred to as a puma or mountain lion, is the second largest cat in North America. Unlike the actual big cats, however, the cougar cannot roar. Instead, the large feline purrs like a domestic cat. They have slender bodies and are difficult to spot due to their low stance and tan colour that acts as camouflage, and the fact that they are silent when running or stalking.
For the most part, the cougar has no natural enemies and sits atop the food chain. However, they occasionally compete with other predators such as bears and wolves for food.
- Big Valley
- Lemoyne (southern Scarlett Meadows)
- Great Plains (northwestern)
- New Hanover (Roanoke Ridge)
- Cholla Springs (northwest-central)
- Gaptooth Ridge
- Rathskeller Fork (south of)
- Rio Bravo
Cougars are native to the states of New Austin, West Elizabeth and remote forested sections of New Hanover. As carnivores, they prey on deer, elk, moose, and mountain goats. The easiest way to take down a cougar of this size is by either using a Bow with Poison Arrows or a rifle. Their fangs can be used for crafting and their meat can be used as food.
Tips and TricksEdit
- Due to its speed and ability to kill players very quickly, it is recommended to always keep weapons drawn and the Dead Eye bar filled when hunting cougars.
- Use a Rifle or Bow and Poison Arrows to get a Perfect Cougar Pelt.
- The Big Game meal can be created by cooking the meat obtained from skinning a Cougar.
- Perfect Cougar Pelts can be sold to a trapper in order to craft the Cougar Cutaway Coat, Rustic Vest, and Cougar McClelland Saddle.
- The Cougar Fang Trinket can be crafted at a Fence Shop with the Legendary Cougar Fang dropped by the Legendary Cougar.
- The 6th Master Hunter Challenge requires you to kill five cougars with a bow and skin them.
For more information on how to achieve this, see the relevant entry in the Master Hunter Challenges page for Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Like with the Cat and the Wolf, their tapetum lucidum shows a feature that wasn’t in the original Red Dead Redemption.
The player must kill a Cougar to contribute to the successful completion of the trophy/achievement:
Skin every species of animal in Story Mode.
Study every animal across all states in Story Mode.
- ↑ In-game description
Related Content Edit