|This place is a mess, looks like some bandits came by again.|
We'd really like you to help us out by cleanin' this mess up.
If you're logged-in, it'll also help you earn those fancy achievements.
The only known way of obtaining this horse for in-game use is by directly editing the Red Dead Redemption save game data itself. This implies that the horse, which clearly does exist within the original game code, is simply the remnant of some mission/item that was left out of the game's final release (but not completely removed from the code itself). So with the use of hacking the system, you can obtain the horse for multiplayer free roam but if you go to the Outfitter to select a different mount you will have to repeat the process.
The only confirmed way to unlock the Dead Horse is to use an edited save file or mod one. As always, before attempting anything with the game save file, always back up some save data first; seemingly innocuous errors may result in file corruption if done improperly. Here you can download a modding system.
(Note: The above link is for XBox 360 game saves only)
- While the Dead Horse appears to be missing its front left leg from the knee down, if the area where the missing leg would be is shot it still takes damage and spews blood as if the leg were there.
- The Dead Horse is based upon a Painted Standardbred, a common two-star breed already within the game.
- The Dead Horse is also missing its lower jaw, leaving its pink tongue to hang out. Which is the only way the player can see a tongue in Red Dead Redemption.
- After killing the bear in the mission Spare the Love, Spoil the Child, go to the cave to find the corpse of Jack's dead horse. It will look like this horse, except dead. However, by restarting from the checkpoint afterward, the horse won't be dead for about one second and can actually be heard groaning in pain and seen falling over.
- If a player with the Dead Horse changes mounts, it can not be obtained again except by once again modding the save file.
- This horse is technically a re-modeled horse if playing on the normal Red Dead Redemption disc. As its stamina is only infinite on the Undead Nightmare disc.
- Other than the obvious scars, mutilations and fatal injuries visible on the horse, it also sports a unique tail. The tail is overgrown, uneven, bushy and somewhat matted and tangled. This can be hard to see if the player is not observing the Dead Horse alive or moving.