Deer are animals in the biological family Cervidae which includes the Moose, Red Deer, Reindeer, Roe and Chital. Male Deer (and female reindeer) grow and shed new antlers each year, except for the Chinese water deer – in this they differ from permanently horned animals such as antelope– these are in the same order as deer and may bear a superficial resemblance.
The deer required for the Master Hunter Challenges are the doe or deer without antlers. Skinning a buck will not give Deer Skin. There are many deer all over New Austin, notably north and south of Armadillo.
Deer are found almost everywhere in the map at any time, and are one of the most abundant animals in Red Dead Redemption, although they are less commonly found in Nuevo Paraiso. They are found abundantly in the Great Plains and Tall Trees and also at Riley's Charge in Cholla Springs. In the early morning hours, while it's still dark, near the entrance to Beecher's Hope there's a spawn point. Just walk around about 2-3 a.m. and they will continuously spawn, about half way to the house. They walk calmly, even after you fire off the first shot
- Dead deer can be found at some hunters camps.
- A corpse of a deer can be seen during the mission "Exodus in America".
- It can be noted that while it is a deer, based on the fact that there is also a Buck that can hunted, it should be called a Doe, as "deer" is just the species, and the Buck is also a deer.
- In real life this species is the White-tailed deer.
- Deer do not appear in Undead Nightmare.
- If you shoot a deer while it is in mid-prance, it will sometimes do a flip before hitting the ground (depending on timing and weapon.)
- Sometimes after firing a weapon deer may freeze up rather than flee.
The player must kill a Deer to successfully complete the following achievement:
Kill every animal species in the game in any game mode.