Favored Sons is a mission in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Arthur speaks with Dutch and Eagle Flies. They plan to use dynamite to take several trees down to trap soldiers heading through the valley in order to humiliate them by tarring and feathering them. Arthur helps Dutch set up the dynamite; while doing so Dutch reveals his real intentions to Arthur; he plans to use the Natives to draw government attention away from the gang and onto the Natives, or in his own words "draw attention to one problem and a veil over the other". They take down the trees but the trapped soldiers aren't alone; more soldiers arrive and Eagle Flies is captured by the soldiers while Dutch and Arthur fight them off. They try to escape but find a dead end and a broken bridge, and are cornered on a cliff, where Dutch delivers a speech to the soldiers about how "my whole life, all I ever did was fight" whilst he and Arthur back away towards the cliff. They leap into the river below whilst being shot at by soldiers, and end up on the riverbank.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Kill the soldier on the cannon within 45 seconds.
- Get 35 headshots.
- Complete the mission without taking any health items.
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills, or abandons any members of the gang
- Allows any members of the gang to die;
- Fails to detonate the explosives in time;
- Gets arrested;
- Numerous US Army soldiers - Killed by Arthur Morgan, Dutch van der Linde and the Wapiti Indians during the ambush.
- Before Arthur and Dutch jump down the river, Dutch tells the captain of how nature or gravity can’t be beaten on the cliffside. This is a foreshadowing of Dutch's last words in Red Dead Redemption before taking his own life by falling off of a cliff.
- The moment when Dutch and Arthur jump off the cliff is an homage to the famous scene of the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), in which the titular protagonists likewise jump off a cliff into a river in order to escape authorities. Frame for frame, the camera angle and lighting of the jumps are nearly identical.
- When Arthur is looting the corpses of the fallen soldiers, he mentions to Dutch that one of them is "...just some poor fool from New Jersey". In real life, Arthur Morgan's voice actor Roger Clark was born in New Jersey.