|Hey there, cowboy. This article looks a little bit small.|
I reckon you could impress me by contributing to it. Don't be shy now.
Favored Sons is a mission in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Arthur speaks with Dutch and Eagle Flies. They plan to use dynamite to take several trees down to trap soldiers heading through the valley in order to humiliate them by tarring and feathering them. Arthur helps Dutch set up the dynamite; while doing so Dutch reveals his real intentions to Arthur; he plans to use the Natives to draw government attention away from the gang and onto the Natives, or in his own words "draw attention to one problem and a veil over the other". They take down the trees but the trapped soldiers aren't alone; more soldiers arrive and Eagle Flies is captured by the soldiers while Dutch and Arthur fight them off. They try to escape but find a dead end and a broken bridge, and are cornered on a cliff, where Dutch delivers a speech to the soldiers about how "my whole life, all I ever did was fight." whilst he and Arthur back away towards the cliff. They leap into the river below whilst being shot at by soldiers, and end up on the riverbank.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Kill the soldier on the cannon within 45 seconds.
- Get 35 headshots.
- Complete the mission without taking any health items.
- Numerous US Army soldiers - Killed by Arthur Morgan, Dutch van der Linde and the Wapiti Indians during the ambush.
- Before Arthur and Dutch jump down the river, Dutch tells the captain of how nature or gravity can’t be beaten on the cliffside. This is a foreshadowing of Dutch‘s last words in Red Dead Redemption before taking his own life by falling off of a cliff.
- The climactic moment when Dutch and Arthur jump off the cliff is an homage to the famous scene of the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969), in which the titular protagonists likewise jump off a cliff into a river in order to escape authorities. Frame for frame, the camera angle and lighting of the jumps are nearly identical.