On May 8, 1863, the Confederate army under the command of General Quincy Harris attacked the fort at night. Confederate soldiers climbed the trees near the fort and started shooting over the walls at Union soldiers within. Eventually, the Confederate Army broke through the north gate as surviving US soldiers fought to protect the fort, but were outnumbered and overrun by the larger Confederate force. U.S. Army soldiers who surrendered or were captured were executed and burned.
In the New Hanover Gazette, U.S. Army veterans that survived the massacre remember the event. In addition, the newspaper states that details of massacre are still contested and that a memorial is planned for the site, but as of 1907 no work on this memorial has begun.
Events of Red Dead Online
By 1898, the fort is in a dilapidated state since it is no longer in use by the U.S. Army, and has been occupied by the Lemoyne Raiders. There are guards patrolling outside of the fort. A wagon can be found inside, parked to the north entrance.
Events of Red Dead Redemption 2
In 1899, the fort still serves a hideout for the Lemoyne Raiders. In an optional bounty mission, the player attacks the fort to capture or kill the Raiders' leader Lindsey Wofford for a bounty. Outside of this instance, the fort is deserted.
Items (Red Dead Redemption 2)
- 1 x Aged Pirate Rum
- 1 x Bill Fold - In a chest in the south east corner, underneath the broken walkway.
- 3 x Chewing Tobacco
- 1 x Fine Brandy
- 1 x Gold Nugget - In the building by the western wall, inside a chest by the western wall in the basement.
- 1 x Health Cure
- 1 x Opened Guarma Rum
- 4 x Pistol Cartridges (Regular)
- 1 x Premium Cigarettes
- 1 x Repeater Cartridges (Regular)
- 1 x Revolver Cartridges (Express)
- 1 x Revolver Cartridges (Regular)
- 3 x Rifle Cartridges (Express)
- Civil War Hardee Hat - In the building by the western wall, lying on the floor in the south west corner of the basement.
- Civil War Knife - In the building by the western wall, on a crate in the basement.
- Civil War Report - In the building by the western wall, inside a chest by the western wall in the basement.
- 'Panther' Cigarette Card - In the building by the western wall, on a crate near the entrance. Can also be found at random when picking up Premium Cigarettes.
- 'San Francisco' Cigarette Card - On the third floor of the south east tower, on the windowsill facing east. Can also be found at random when picking up Premium Cigarettes.
- Special Horse Medicine Pamphlet - In a chest in the south east corner, underneath the broken walkway.
Red Dead Online
- The massacre at Fort Brennand appears to be loosely based on the Battle of Fort Pillow (also known as the “Fort Pillow Massacre”) that took place on April 12, 1864 along the Mississippi River near the Arkansas-Tennessee border. Confederate soldiers massacred black Union troops and white officers who were attempting to surrender. Controversy continues today as to how many soldiers were killed, as well as to whether Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest ordered the massacre or the soldiers under his command acted spontaneously.