The fort was abandoned at some point and only its wooden structures remain partially intact. Several dilapidated tepees sit within the decaying walls and a mass gravesite is located adjacent on the lower portion of the hill.
Events of Red Dead Online
The fort is the location of Yukon Nik, a legendary bounty target.
Events of Red Dead Redemption 2
During the game, the player can meet with a drunk stranger. If the player gives the stranger a bottle of whiskey, the stranger will then tell the player his story.
The stranger is a U.S. Army veteran who used to be stationed at Fort Riggs. He tells the player that a lot of Native Americans were suppressed and held in captivity in the Fort. He also states the U.S. Army ended up killing a lot of Indians in the Fort.
In the central building of the fort, players can find a letter that contains the correct spelling of a variety of English words. This is code when one takes the first letter of each word, the following poem emerges:
Waziya comes with winter breath
His trees stand guard whispering all night that we sleep in our grave
Father fought and died so quickly
Mother dies slow
Fort Riggs consists of a decrepit wooden fence surrounding several abandoned teepees and a single ruined wooden cabin. There is a graveyard along the fence, and wooden crate are stacked near the cabin.
- In Red Dead Online, when used as a gang hideout, Lemoyne Raiders can often spawn as the enemies.
- It is also the hideout of bounty target Yukon Nik.
- The in-game Location HUD displays its name as "FT Riggs Holding Camp".
- Waziya, as referred to in the cryptic message, is a figure in Lakota mythology that takes the form of a giant bringing famine and disease.
- The cheat code "RUN! RUN! RUN!" can be found written on a chalkboard in the main building.