The fort has three towers, a well as five larger interior buildings, including a stable and a prison.
Fort Wallace is a restricted area, and the player will be ordered to stay back from the premises by U.S. Army soldiers if they draw too close, and shooting off any firearm will instantaneously result in retaliation.
Events of Red Dead Online
During "More Than One Way To Earn a Buck", the fort is occupied by Samson Finch's old unit. After having previously double-crossed him, the soldiers intended to use the ammunition stockpile at the base to rob several banks for themselves. However, Samson manages to recruit a set of outlaws to serve as his new accomplices and instructs them to raid the fort in order to prevent his old partner from committing the robberies. The posse subsequently succeeds in putting down the rogue soldiers and destroy the munition dumps there.
Events of Red Dead Redemption 2
Eagle Flies is captured by the U.S. Army, and imprisoned at the fort. Charles, in the hopes of rescuing him, scouts out the fort and finds that there is a way in through the back. He leads Arthur across the river, so they aren't detected by the army. They wait until night when the patrols leave, before killing the sentries in the front of the fort and sneaking to the back. Then, they use ropes to get into the fort, and silently dispatch the guards on the walls. They then take the prison, and grab Eagle Flies. Arthur blows a hole in the wall using dynamite, and they fight their way to canoes, which they use to get as far away from the fort as possible.
- To the southwest by the road is a mail coach with a lockbox. Within is Ginseng Elixir and a Letter to Henrietta Douglas, Letter to Judge Finley, Letter to Miriam Wegner, Letter to the Saint Denis Times Tribune, and Letter to William Errington.
- On a crate at the base of the northwest tower is the Cigarette Card for the Turkoman.
- On the western side of the Fort is a lean-to. On the table within is the Cigarette Card for Emmet Granger.
- On a windowsill at the top of the southeast tower is the Cigarette Card for Leviticus Cornwall.
- At some point in development, the fort was located in Grizzlies East, around the area where the Meditating Monk is in the final game. This can be seen by opening the map index and bringing the map cursor to the "GR" in Grizzlies east. The index erroneously claims the location is "Fort Wallace, Grizzlies East" and displays the "Wanted Dead or Alive" message used for restricted areas next to the cursor.
- There is a real Fort Wallace in Kansas. It was one of the forts used during the Indian Wars. George Armstrong Custer was there at some point with the 7th Cavalry regiment. The fort was used from around 1865 to 1882.