The Gatling Gun is one of the best known early rapid-fire weapons and a forerunner of the modern machine gun. It is one of two such weapons in Red Dead Redemption, the other being the Maxim Gun.
Red Dead Revolver
Red Dead Redemption
In Red Dead Redemption the Gatling gun has unlimited ammunition. It is first used in the mission "The Assault on Fort Mercer", mounted in the back of Nigel West Dickens' stagecoach. Gatling guns also appear in several other missions thereafter including:
A Gatling gun can still be found in El Presidio and doctors often use them for protection out in the wilderness. A new Gatling gun has been mounted on one of the buildings in Rathskeller Fork. When confronted by an undead horde, John Marston can apply Phosphorus Coating to the gun's ammo supply to make it an even more potent weapon. In Undead Nightmare, the unlimited ammunition of the Gatling Gun is beneficial due to the relative scarcity of other types of ammunition.
In Multiplayer Free Roam, only three Gatling Guns can be found, two at El Presidio and one at Fort Mercer. Various Free For All and Gang maps as well as Stronghold have Gatling guns available to players. Some co-op missions also include Gatling guns.
- The Gatling Gun is based on the real world Gatling gun.
- The Gatling Gun in Red Dead Redemption lacks the hopper/magazine that is a necessary component to feed ammunition to the real world gun; whereas Marston fires the game weapon by himself, the actual gun required a fulltime loader.
- Even though the Gatling Gun has unlimited ammunition, the person the player is working with will sometimes say that the player "needs the ammunition."
- There is a very rare glitch in which the player uses the Gatling Gun immediately after the Bolt Action Rifle, and the Gatling will only fire one bullet every time the firing handle is turned.
- After completing one or more missions involving the Gatling Gun, it will likely show in the Stats as the player's Favorite Weapon. This may be due to the game counting weapon use by shots fired rather than kills or time.
The Gatling Gun can be used to unlock the following Trophies/Achievements:
Get 250 headshots in any game mode.
Get a headshot while in Expert Mode in Singleplayer.
Kill 500 enemies with a mounted weapon in any game mode.