The gila monster is a venomous lizard living in New Austin, on the banks and generally north of the San Luis River. Their heads and necks are broad and their eyes are black with round pupils. Their bodies are covered with beaded scales and bright black, pink, yellow and orange patterns. Their wide feet end with long, sharp claws.
As carnivores, they prey on small mammals, lizards, frogs, birds (and their eggs), and carrion.
- The Varmint Rifle is considered to be the best for hunting Gila Monsters.
- Their Herptile meat is edible, and their carcasses can be used for crafting.
- The Legendary Panther Range Gloves and the Gila Monster Gambler's Hat can be crafted at the Trapper Shop using its materials.
- In real life, gila monsters' bite is venomous; in-game, the animal instead runs away from the player, and is not aggressive.
- Gila monsters can be found outside the world limits in Mexico, where they do not move or react to the player, making them easy to study and kill.
Skin every species of animal in Story Mode.
Study every animal across all states in Story Mode.