Hey there, partner. We managed to clean this mess up a bit after some bandits came by again. Could ya help us out by cleanin' this mess up further? I'd reckon you'd impress the ladies around this town by adding info to it as well. If you're logged-in, it'll help you earn them fancy achievem'nts, too.
Golden Guns are weapons found in Red Dead Redemption. They are only unlockable in multiplayer if the player reaches a certain level where they can unlock a title that accompanies a weapon. Hence the name, the gun is gold plated. Though there are golden guns that are only unlocked through pre-orders.
Golden Guns, in Multiplayer, give a player high prestige towards other players. Showing off that one has acquired 100 head shots in a player vs. player match with that weapon (dynamite and fire bottles have a different method).
If you advance into legend (restarting back at level 1) the gun will stay gold. However the Journal Skills towards that gun is reset at 0. So it is best to check your stats with each gun before you accept Legend, or all your work towards them will be lost.
Also, note that through many arguments about the confusion of the above information on becoming a legend with a gold gun, it is in fact true that players do keep gold guns when going into legend. Players do not actually receive a Golden Gun, instead whenever they use the gun they have completed the Challenges for, the gun is turned golden. This works for guns that you pick up off of a dead enemy or is picked up from a weapon chest. There are many boosters trying to get their hands on golden guns.
Attempting to make a gun gold requires a series of challenges which can be tracked via the pause menu and selecting the journal. The requirements for the challenge will be listed here. The Cattleman Revolver cannot be made gold.
thumb|210px|rightNote that only metal parts of a weapon are golden. Other parts (wood, ivory...) stay normal.
Also, when the golden weapon leaves the person, it returns to normal.
Two Golden Guns are available through pre-orders, the Golden Cattleman Revolver and the Golden Repeater Carbine. They are very different than most golden guns because the guns can increase fame with each kill.
The same two Golden Guns (if you've input the unique pre-order code) are available during the Undead Nightmare Single Player (after saving your game, then going to the pause menu and loading the game you just saved). Although there is no fame with each kill because there is no fame or honor in Undead Nightmare.
Golden Guns are gold plated in appearance and nothing else. The exception of this are the two gold weapons that come with the pre-ordered version of Red Dead Redemption. The Repeater Carbine and the Cattleman Revolver, the two pre-ordered weapons, will give you fame with each kill, allowing you to make progress much faster towards increased fame.
- The only weapons in Multiplayer you cannot make gold are: Throwing Knives, Hunting Knife, Cattleman Revolver, Holy Water, Undead Bait, Boom Bait and the Blunderbuss
- This being odd since the Cattleman Revolver is Golden in Singerplayer with the Pre-Order
- The Explosive Rifle is by far the hardest gun to get golden due to many factors:
- The Tomahawk is the second hardest weapon to get golden due to:
- It is only in the Free For All of Rio del Toro
- It is the most inaccurate weapon in the game.
- Guns you make golden in Multiplayer, do not transfer over to Single Player.
- Everytime you gain a golden weapon, you also gain a Title in the Weapons category of the Outfitter.
- Some guns like the High Power Pistol have engravings.