Goodbye, Dear Friend is a mission in Red Dead Redemption 2.
News reaches the gang that Colm is to be hanged. However, knowing that Colm had escaped the noose twice before, Dutch and Sadie are prompted to attend his execution in person to ensure that Colm doesn’t escape this time, and they bring Arthur along with them to help. Realising that they are wanted outlaws themselves, they attend the hanging in disguise, with Dutch and Arthur dressed in police uniforms and Sadie as a lady of high society.
Upon reaching Colm, they notice two shifty-looking men and realise that they are O’Driscolls. Dutch and Arthur follow them and, when realising their plan, Dutch sends Arthur to deal with Colm’s men while he returns to Sadie. After the saboteurs are removed, Arthur takes up a position on the roof with a sniper rifle, while Dutch and Sadie each hold an O’Driscoll hostage at gunpoint. With the rescue attempt thwarted, Colm is hanged as planned.
Sadie, however, is unable to contain her rage and kills both her hostage and Dutch’s. This causes a shootout with some remaining O’Driscolls against Arthur, Dutch and Sadie. With the latter two fighting on the ground, Arthur snipes some from the rooftop. With the O’Driscolls defeated, Dutch and Sadie return to camp, shortly followed by Arthur.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Find Colm’s back up within 45 seconds.
- Get 8 headshots with a long scoped rifle.
- Complete within 6 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Colm O'Driscoll - Hanged in Saint Denis for the numerous crimes he had committed over the years.
- Various O’Driscolls - Killed by Arthur, Dutch and Sadie in order to sabotage Colm’s rescue attempt and in the ensuing gunfight between the trio and the O’Driscolls.
- At the end of the mission, Tilly Jackson gives Arthur a goodbye letter from Mary Linton, who gives out two lines that he later recalls during his final ride in "Red Dead Redemption" depending on his Honor: "I see clearly that your world is not a world from which one can escape" (if Arthur's Honor is low), and "There's a good man within you... but he is wrestling with a giant" (if his Honor is high).
- After completion, the outfit Arthur wore prior to this mission may have the police uniform belt on it. This is likely a glitch, as it is not added as a weapon equipment piece.
- It is possible to save the police officer hat. During the mission the player must have an empty slot on the horse and make sure they pick up the hat from the ground after it has been knocked off during the rooftop fight.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophies/Achievements:
Complete Goodbye, Dear Friend.
Attain 100% Completion.