The Grizzly is a very large mammal. Grizzly bears are omnivores, and their diet can vary widely. They may eat seeds, berries, roots, grasses, fungi, deer, elk, fish, dead animals and insects.
Each spring the bear marks the boundary of its territory by rubbing trees, scratching bark, or even biting large pieces from the trunks of trees.
Grizzly bears are specially adapted to survive the changing seasons. During warmer months, they eat a massive amount of food so they can live off body fat during the winter, when food is scarce.
Grizzlies are massive animals. They have concave faces, a distinctive hump on their shoulders, and long claws about two to four inches long. Both the hump and the claws are traits associated with a grizzly bear’s exceptional digging ability. Grizzlies are often dark brown, but can vary from very light cream to black. The long guard hairs on their backs and shoulders frequently have white tips and give the bears a "grizzled" appearance, hence the name "grizzly."
Unlike the timid Black Bear, grizzlies are extremely territorial and aggressive, usually charging at the player even if they are on horseback. If on foot, the bear will sometimes tackle the player before killing them, and initiating button prompts that must be tapped in order to survive.
While both species of bears are extremely solitary, it is especially rare to come across two grizzlies near each other, possibly as a result of their own territorial nature.
Grizzly Bears are endemic to Grizzlies East.
- Big Valley
- Grizzlies East
- Grizzlies West
- Dakota River (west of Valentine and south of Granite Pass)
- Barrow Lagoon
- Donner Falls, East of. A random encounter of whom is hunting a Grizzly, after about a minute the Bear will appear and attack the Hunter
- A random encounter south of Cairn Lake involves a Hunter who lost his friend to a bear. The player will be asked to search for the friend and find the body pinned to a rock. Upon returning and informing the hunter, he will go see himself and be attacked by the bear.
- Tall Trees
- The Rank 5 Master Hunter Challenge requires the player to skin three black or grizzly bears.
- The Rank 10 Weapons Expert Challenge requires killing a grizzly bear with only throwing knives.
- The easiest way to take down an animal of this size is with a rifle with either High Velocity or Express Bullets.
- Bear meat, fat and claws can be used for food or materials to craft with.
- You can cook the Big Game meal from hunting it.
- At the trapper with the perfect pelt of a grizzly bear you can craft a Bear Dakota Saddle and a Bear Batwing Chaps.
- If the grizzly charges you while on foot, one option is to simply stand still and not move or shoot. The bear will mock-charge, stop short to roar at you, and eventually lose interest. This is actually similar to how most survival experts recommend avoiding a black bear attack but not a Grizzly.
Grizzly Bears are endemic to Grizzlies East. As an omnivore, its diet ranges from berries, roots, and grasses to deer, elk, fish, and carrion. The easiest way to take down an animal of this size is with a rifle with either High Velocity or Express Bullets. Bear meat, fat and claws can be used for food or materials to craft with.
Skin every species of animal in Story Mode.
Study every animal across all states in Story Mode.
GRIN AND BEAR IT
Survive 18 bear attacks and kill the bear each time in Story Mode.
- In-game description