It is located at a small pond, northeast of Heartland Overflow.
From the outside, the building appears long abandoned empty. However once entering, the bethel is laden with the skeletal remains of what appear to be members of a religious cult who all killed themselves in near unison.
Aside from the bodies, the inside has dozens and dozens of melted candles, old and dusty furniture, and near the front mantle is a table with a paper labeled; "Mysterious Sermon.”
- Inside the chimney is Aged Pirate Rum.
- A broken wagon to the north of the pond has a lockbox. Contained within is Guarma Rum, money, and the Volatile Dynamite Pamphlet.
- On a table inside the cabin is the Cigarette Card for W. G. Hoyt.
UFO easter egg
The first line in the Mysterious Sermon refers to the 'second hour under half moon'. Hinting that if the player returns to the cabin at 2 A.M. they will witness a UFO flying above the cabin.
- The Mysterious Sermon pamphlet and the eleven corpses lying there are possibly a loose reference to the Heaven's Gate Cult, which participated in a mass suicide in order to reach what they believed was an extraterrestrial spacecraft following Comet Hale–Bopp on March 19–20, 1997.
- Bethel is often referred to in the Hebrew Bible as where Abram pitched his tent and later it is the location where Jacob dreams of seeing angels and God, and which he therefore named Bethel, "House of God." There are multiple towns named "Bethel" in the U.S with a large sum of them in and near Oklahoma, roughly where New Hanover is located in real life.
Finding this shack along with all other shacks can net you these trophies/achievements:
Complete one of the Collectible strands
Attain 100% Completion.