Honor is the system which serves to measure the social acceptability of Arthur, John, or Jack's actions in Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2. Specific actions in the game are considered honorable or dishonorable.
Red Dead Redemption
Performing certain tasks, like saving citizens under attack or siding with honorable lawmen will earn the player positive honor. Alternatively, siding against lawmen, aiding thieves and outlaws, stealing and violent actions such as Murder toward innocents will earn the player negative honor. Having the law alerted of any crimes, whether or not law enforcement sees it first hand or an eyewitness escapes, will lower Marston's honor.
Honor will affect how NPCs interact with the player in different ways depending on whether one has accumulated high or low honor. The psychological effect of Honor on NPCs is relative to Marston's Fame level.
A player with high Honor is rewarded twice as much pay for jobs and bounties, is bestowed the Duster Coat Outfit, and finds that nearly all shopkeepers offer discounts while lawmen and eyewitnesses alike will sometimes overlook minor crimes. Players with Hero Honor rank have a chance of a random encounter with a nun who bestows the Obscuridad del Santo Andres, a kit item that makes enemies less accurate. If a Hero Honor is maintained after receiving the Obscuridad, random nuns will occasionally give the player gifts of money or ask for charity (~$70).
Players with low Honor can bribe eyewitnesses for less, enjoy discounts in the shady town of Thieves' Landing, their whistle can beckon a special, unique Dark Horse with a white face and red scars and eyewitnesses (but not lawmen) won't dare snitch for anything less than murder. You will also insult people instead of greeting them if you have low honor.
Honor also directly affects Marston's bounty levels. Bad deeds will increase Marston's bounty, while good deeds can reduce his bounty.
Red Dead Redemption 2
Honor is a returning system in Red Dead Redemption 2. Unlike its predecessor, Honor plays a more important role to the story.
Arthur Morgan's honor affects his behavior and tone in many of the games story cutscenes as well as changes in dialogue, a high honor Arthur will be more selfless and thinking of others and considered real and understanding of certain situations such as Dutch’s deteriorating behaviour and killings and thinking of the women of the Van Der Linde gangs safety and of course John’s Family and John himself, while at the same time being real about the fact he is going to die, while a low honor Arthur is shown as a person who doesn’t care much and only cares about himself and the gangs money, essentially less apathetic as well as altering the manner of his death, ranging from a bullet in the head, being stabbed, or just left to succumb to tuberculosis. Arthur's honor also affects how the characters refer to him in the epilogue, as well as what animal is seen at his grave.
Much like Red Dead Redemption Arthur can receive discounts as his Honor ranks up, if Arthur’s rank is past the middle and is rank 2, he will earn a 10% discount in stores, it is increased to 25% once Arthur’s Honor rank is up to rank 4, and once around ranks 7 and 8 Arthur will receive a 50% discount as long as Arthur’s Honor stays high.
Having the lowest honor causes more and better items to be looted from dead people.
Unlike its predecessor also, wearing a bandanna does not stop Honor going up or down, as the bandanna only stops witnesses from recognising Arthur Morgan’s face until Lawmen see him.
Red Dead Redemption
Doing specific actions will result in negative or positive honor
- Killing an innocent: -50 honor.
- Killing your horse: -50 honor.
- Killing a Lawman: -100 honor.
- Killing a Preacher: -100 honor.
- Killing a nun: -100 honor.
- Bribing a Lawman (while wanted): -400 honor. -1000 if your bounty is $500 or higher.
- Looting the daughter's corpse in Twin Rocks (looting the container outside her room also counts): -200 honor.
- Cracking a safe: -100 honor.
- Killing an Outlaw: +10 honor (the adding information does not show, only rank changes appears).
- Nightwatch: +50 honor per non-lethal encounter.
- Bounties: +200 honor alive, +100 honor dead.
- Helping random encounter strangers: +50 honor per non-lethal resolution.
- Disarming duel opponent: +200 honor.
- Defending a stagecoach against bandits: +400 honor.
- Completing a gang hideout: +200 honor.
Red Dead Redemption 2
Small Honor Gains:
- Donating to the camps tithing box
- Donating provisions to Pearson
- Completing gang member item requests
- Greeting random people positively
- Antagonising perverts in Valentine random encounters
- Helping good people
- Donating to poor people
- Helping people attacked by local gang members
- Completing "American Dreams" by saving the Valentine Sheriff and killing the murderer
- Completing "The Iniquities of History"
- Refusing duels
- Disarming duelists
- Intervening in conflicts in towns
- Turning in the "Killer Prostitute"
- Returning the man's horse after "Polite Society, Valentine Style"
- Giving the captured slaves money during "Help a Brother Out"
- Allowing the Chelonians to let Arthur talk to Jamie peacefully
- Going with John Marston during "Red Dead Redemption"
- Antagonising the KKK members in random encounters
- Returning caught fish to the water
Major Honor Gains:
- Saving Jimmy Brooks during "Polite Society, Valentine Style"
- Completing "Money Lending and Other Sins VI"
- During "Money Lending and Other Sins VI", absolve both of the debts and also give the widow money for the second one
- Completing Do Not Seek Absolution I and II
- Agreeing to help both Rains Fall and Captain Monroe
- Telling Brother Dorkins to give the change to the poor
- Donating food or money to Sister Calderón during "Of Men and Angels"
- Agreeing to help Mary during "We Loved Once and True"
- Visiting Rains Fall in the epilogue
Small Honor Losses:
- Robbing people
- Robbing stores
- Beating people
- Antagonising people
- Antagonising gang members
- Going back for the money in "Red Dead Redemption"
- Refusing to donate to Brother Dorkins
- Killing fish with dynamite
- Wounding an animal and letting it suffer
- Killing a horse
- Animal Cruelty to local town animals
- Helping the "Killer Prostitute" in Valentine
- Peeping on women in Valentine
Major Honor Losses:
- Murdering people
- Refusing to help Rains Fall and Captain Monroe
- Refusing to help Sadie Adler in "Mrs. Sadie Adler, Widow"
- Killing Jimmy Brooks during "Polite Society Valentine Style"
- Killing Milliken during "Visiting Hours"
- Killing the bounty hunter during "Magicians for Sport"
These are the lists of rankings in corresponding honor.
High Honor Ranks
All jobs pay twice as much (including Bounty Hunting).
|2||Peacemaker||Shop prices are reduced 50% when buying and increased 50% when selling in all areas except Thieves' Landing, in addition to Honest Joe perks. Worn Duster outfit is unlocked.|
|3||Hero||Lawmen and civilians only report crimes after the first murder in cold blood, in addition to Honest Joe and Peacemaker perks, although bank robberies will still be reported. Also, there is a chance of a random encounter with a nun who bestows the Obscuridad del Santo Andres.|
Neutral Honor Ranks
|N/A||Drifter||No perks for neutral honor.|
Low Honor Ranks
Here are the ranks in corresponding order:
|1||Rustler||The cost to bribe eyewitnesses is reduced 50%. If you've already reached "Road Agent", the "rare mount" Dark Horse responds to your whistle as long as you stay below "Drifter" rank.|
|2||Road Agent||All the shops in Thieves' Landing charge you 50% less to buy and pay you 50% more to sell, in addition to Rustler perks. Achieving this title allows you to summon the Dark Horse, as long as you don't pass into "Drifter" rank.|
|3||Desperado||In addition to Rustler and Road Agent perks, no eyewitness reports crime below murder, although lawmen still respond to all crimes if seen. An exception: if you're seen robbing a bank the crime will be reported.|
- There is a known glitch in which to earn extra honor: After having accepted a bounty, the game must be saved and the bounty returned alive for an increase in honor. Then, without saving, the player must kill themselves; the game will reload to before the bounty was claimed, but will still have the gain in honor and money and may claim the bounty again. This does not always work, and may only work once per bounty.
- Neither honor nor Fame are used in the Undead Nightmare DLC pack.
- Some characters like Trent Oxley and Wilton Glover only appear as duelling challengers when the player has low honor.
- The easiest place to lose honor is Thieves Landing and Casa Madrugada, since you incur no bounty for crimes committed there.
- The fastest way to lose honor is by attacking lawmen, bribing them, re-attacking them and bribing them again, although it is difficult to pull off.
Honor is associated with this gameplay achievement/trophy:
Attain highest Fame rank and either highest or lowest Honor rank.