The Hungarian Half-bred is a horse breed in Red Dead Redemption 2. They tend to have higher health and stamina, but lower speed and acceleration. Its handling gives it moderate reactivity and agility.
Hungarian Half-breds are courageous war horses, renowned for their fearlessness. This makes them a good choice to have in combat, although it should be noted that this breed does not have as much health and stamina as other war horses. The Dapple Dark Grey variant can be bought at the stables in Valentine, while others must be tamed in the wild. They are healthy and possess average stamina, speed and acceleration.
Originally bred for competition, the Hungarian Half-bred exhibits strength and stamina prized by many. Fine for sports or on the battlefield, they are quiet and eager to learn, alert and attentive. Their withers are well defined, the head alert, the limbs strong and muscular, and the hindquarters rounded and powerful. The Hungarian Half-bred is a quality war horse with a high level of strength.
|Coat||Base Value (in $)||Health||Stamina||Speed||Acceleration||Source|
|Dapple Dark Grey||150.00||5||4||3||3||Valentine stable|
The horse of John Marston throughout most of 1899. This horse first appears at Horseshoe Overlook after John's previous horse was killed by wolves in the snowy mountains of Ambarino. Old Boy has a "Silver Dark Bay" coat and is one of the few horses to not get skittish when the player approaches it. With its dark coat and lighter-coloured mane, it looks reminiscent of the War Horse from Red Dead Redemption. Along with Arthur's horse, Old Boy is shot dead by Pinkertons in the mission "Red Dead Redemption", forcing Arthur and John to continue on foot.
- John's Special Horse "Old Boy" is most likely a reference to the nickname that Edgar Ross gives John in Red Dead Redemption.
- In the mission "Money Lending and Other Sins I", if the player enters Wróbel's barn, they can steal his Hungarian Half-bred. It is the dapple dark grey variant.
- The Dapple Dark Grey coats can also be acquired from bounty hunters.
- "Hungarian Half-bred" is an alternate name for the Nonius, which originated from a stallion of the same name who was half thoroughbred or Norfolk Roadster and half Norman. Real Nonius, however, do not come in grey or any form of pinto.
- Benedict Allbright has a dapple dark grey that can be taken on his bounty mission.
- The Tobiano does not spawn in the wild and is not purchasable from stables. It only spawns as police mounts in settlements, in specific story missions (such as from Cornwall's men in "An Honest Mistake"), as well as in West Elizabeth and Scarlett Meadows camps. It is considered the rarest horse in Story Mode. It also occasionally spawns in Alden’s third stagecoach robbery mission.