Sometime before 1899, Feeney was teaching his son Sammy, how to shoot a rifle, but the recoil knocked the boy into the nearby river and the rapids quickly dragged him under, leaving Feeney unable to do anything to save his son's life. Various people in Rhodes say that he hasn't been the same since.
Events of Red Dead Redemption 2
Upon entering the settlement, the player can find through the bars of the basement window of the gunsmith a young man in a sailor suit, claiming to be kidnapped. When doing the special robbery, Feeney claims that the young man is his son who has been sent to his room for stealing candy. If the player holds Feeney at gunpoint, he reluctantly agrees to take them into the basement.
After the player has shot the chain bound to the young man, Feeney confesses that he kidnapped the man due to a resemblance to his son, now understanding what he did was wrong. Feeney then becomes withdrawn, not caring what the player does, allowing them to loot with impunity. However, he will become hostile if he is attacked.
- A drawing of Feeney and his son fishing can be found on his person.
- When robbing his store, Feeney will attack the player using a Cattleman Revolver.
- His store's sign states his name as 'Jas. Feeney'. However, occasionally when robbing him, he will reveal his first name as Jasper.
- Several graves of people with his last name can be found at the cemetary.
- After entering his store as either Arthur or John following the robbery mission, assuming that said robbery of the store's basement to save the captive was performed by the same playable character, Feeney will refer to them as a thief, even if they did not loot the gun case or anything else in the basement and had simply left.