Events of Red Dead Online
The player can encounter Joe in Osman Grove, where he will initially hold them at gunpoint when they enter his cabin unannounced, but eventually deduces that they are looking for work. He asks if the player knows Micah, Cleet, or Samson Finch, and begins talking about a man he had murdered recently, whom he barely even knew. Joe then offers to pay the player if they kill another man and his associates, who have been giving him trouble recently.
After this, Joe can be found again at his cabin, and will offer paid killings, coach robberies, thefts, and other assassination missions to the player. His missions give negative honor.
Joe appears in the Blood Money update as a member of Guido Martelli's criminal network, and offers new missions to the protagonist.
Events of Red Dead Redemption 2
In 1899, Joe is recruited by Micah to aid the Van der Linde gang in their robbery of a US Army train, although he plays a minimal part in it. After Arthur goes to confront Micah for betraying the gang, Joe sides with Micah and the others during the ensuing standoff against Arthur and John. Joe and the others prepare to shoot the pair, but are interrupted when Pinkertons storm the camp and the gang are forced to flee. He can next be seen riding with Dutch, Micah and Cleet chasing after Arthur and John, although the pair manage to lose their pursuers in the woods. After the Van der Linde gang is disbanded, Joe and Cleet join Micah in creating his own gang up in the mountains of Ambarino.
Years later in 1907, John Marston, Sadie Adler and Charles Smith learn that Micah is still alive and journey to Mount Hagen after finding out that he was there, to kill him in revenge for his betrayal that ultimately led to the fall of the Van der Linde gang and the death of Arthur Morgan.
Alongside two other gang members, Joe encounters John as he makes his way up the mountain. After a brief confrontation, Joe and his allies are promptly gunned down and killed by John, who then resumes on his trek toward Micah.
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Red Dead Online
- Paid Killings
- Coach Robberies
- Blood Money missions
- Joe has a tattoo on his chest that reads "tout me fait rire", a French phrase which translates to "Everything makes me laugh". Cleet has a similar tattoo in the same area, although it is partially obscured by his neckerchief.
- If Joe is antagonized enough in camp, he will shove Arthur, just like Dutch, Micah and Cleet.
- Joe never speaks during a cutscene in the single player campaign; he shares this distinction with Cleet. While Cleet does speak several times during "Our Best Selves" and "American Venom", Joe only has a few lines during his final appearance. One of them can be heard saying "Yup" during the opening cutscene of "Red Dead Redemption", although neither man's mouth can be seen moving. Both can also be interacted with around camp, between the missions "My Last Boy" and "Our Best Selves," although they never move past the table near Dutch's tent. They only sit at the table, lay on their nearby bedrolls or occasionally go to the mouth of the cave. During these interactions, Arthur notes that he doesn't talk much.
- However, he does speak during his stranger activity in Red Dead Online. This interaction sees him speaking much more, often repeating himself.
- Although Joe is affiliated with Guido Martelli, he expresses distain for Italians to the Red Dead Online protagonist.
- Joe's facial features seem to have been based on a real-life person that appeared in the book titled "Face", which is a collection of portraits taken by photographer, Bruce Gilden, who is best known for his candid close-up photographs of people.