The LeMat is a cap and ball revolver with a single-shot, smooth bore barrel of buckshot beneath the main barrel, allowing players to switch between revolver and shotgun ammunition at their leisure.
With Revolver Ammo, its damage and accuracy are both marginally better than the Schofield Revolver and decisively superior to that of both the Double-action and Cattleman revolvers. However, its rate of fire is the slowest of all in-game revolvers, as is the reload speed, although the latter factor is somewhat circumvented in that the ammo capacity is nine rounds as opposed to the default six.
With Shotgun Ammo, the LeMat performs similarly to the Sawed-off Shotgun, except it has one round available instead of two.
In Red Dead Redemption 2, the LeMat Revolver can be purchased from the gunsmith in Saint Denis after the mission "The Gilded Cage".
In Online, the revolver can also be purchased from any gunsmith or from the handheld catalogue that the Online protagonist carries on-hand.
- The LeMat Revolver is the only weapon in the Redemption saga to feature a secondary firing mode.
- The LeMat is the most expensive revolver in both Redemption 2 and Online.
- Unlike the previous game's model, the reload animation for the LeMat Revolver in Redemption 2 is correct for a cap and ball revolver, although it is difficult to notice this with it being displayed so fast. First, the user places the paper cartridge in the front of the cylinder with two fingers, then places the primer capsule on the fuse with their thumb and finally operates the lever to press the cartridge into the cylinder. There were cartridge firing LeMat revolvers in existence, although they looked a bit different from ball and cap version the in-game model is based on; they had a distinct, shorter cylinder and the Belgian centerfire variant also had a different grip.
- Upon close inspection when firing, especially in first person, players can see the pieces of the primer cap being thrown away when hitting the hammer along with smoke and sparks. This effect is exclusive to the LeMat revolver and the Navy Revolver in Red Dead Online.
- Historically, the LeMat was named after its designer, French physician Jean Alexandre LeMat.