Mescalero is a small Native American campsite southeast of Pike's Basin that includes several tepees and wigwam frames. A circle of stones is present in the center of the camp in the form of a Native American medicine wheel. Although the area was a Native American camp at one point, it has long been abandoned by 1911.
If the player collects a bounty poster from MacFarlane's Ranch, the bounty target will sometimes be at Mescalero.
In Red Dead Redemption 2 the area is present, but the camp is missing.
- When entering Mescalero, Marston might say "This place looks deserted", "What happened here", "This is creepy", "I wonder what went wrong", "I wonder what happened here," "Where is everyone","There must be someone here", "Looks like people left here in a hurry", and "Something isn't right here", much like he does at other deserted areas.
- The line of stones extending out from the medicine wheel points directly at the rising sun. Standing in the center of the wheel at sunrise, the player will see the sun rise exactly where the line of stones points.
- If the player follows the line of stones from the medicine wheel, they will pass a large, semi-disassembled tepee. On the floor in the middle of it, there is a vase that looks bronze or gold towards the handles. It is possible that this vase is the treasure that the mystery site is referring to.
- NPCs will occasionally comment on the area being a frequent spot for holdups and wagon thefts.
- Sometimes, in multiplayer, a cattle rustler from Pike's Basin may become separated from his comrades and end up in Mescalero. From here, he may shoot players, despite the distance and hills in the way.
- Various campfires can be seen around despite this, the fires light themselves even though no one is there.
- If the player visits Mescalero Red Dead Redemption 2, the game says it’s in Cholla Springs, rather than Hennigan's Stead. The site is not marked on the map when visited, only when viewing the location details view key press.
Uncover every location on the map in Single Player.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.