Arthur attempts to reclaim the debt from Thomas Downes but finds him to be destitute.
Arthur Morgan arrives at the Downes Ranch to collect Thomas Downes' debt. Downes previously borrowed money from Leopold Strauss, who sent Arthur to collect the money. When Arthur arrives, he encounters Downes in the garden. Arthur confronts Downes, who tries to hit him with a rake. Arthur blocks it, and intimidates Downes, who says he doesn't have the money. Arthur beats Downes and in the process he coughs blood in his face. Arthur shrugs this off and continues demanding the money from Downes until Downes' wife notices what's happening and tells Arthur to leave, warning him that Thomas isn't well. Arthur rides back to camp and berates Strauss for lending them the money.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Complete within 2 minutes and 10 seconds.
- This mission is a major turning point for Arthur, as Downes coughs in his eye and gives him tuberculosis, leading to Arthur's eventual demise.
- UnlIke the other money lending missions, you must complete this mission to proceed the story line.
- In addition, it is impossible to prevent Downes from coughing blood on Arthur. He will do so even if Arthur does not strike him and any facial wear will be removed like most cutscenes. Thus making it impossible to prevent Arthur from contracting tuberculosis.
- When Arthur is reading a letter from Mary Linton, a cutscene may play where Strauss will tell Arthur to pay Thomas a visit, therefore triggering the mission, forcing the player to complete it as it cannot be abandoned.
Though this mission and Parts I and II are not optional Honor story missions themselves, completing these can can unlock the remainder of the story missions later on (all of them optional) and is thus associated with these trophies/achievements:
Reach maximum or minimum Honor level.
Complete all optional Honor story missions.
Earn 70 Gold Medals in Story missions.
Attain 100% Completion.