|“||New Austin: the last real outlaw country. Where the old ways still hold true.||„|
New Austin is one of three territories in Red Dead Redemption and is also the largest. It is also known as the Frontier. In Red Dead Redemption 2, it is one of the five American territories and the second largest.
This territory is characterized as a largely rugged and arid wilderness in the process of colonization. As such, there is an expected presence of wild animals and outlaws.
The name of the region and its largest town as well as its border location, prominent fort, mines, and oil derricks all show a strong Texas influence.
The terrain of New Austin resembles aspects of several real Southwestern U.S. states. Cholla Springs resembles Arizona's desert with its saguaro cactus, desert scrub, and prickly pears. The scrub desert of Rio Bravo is strongly reminiscent of New Mexico. Gaptooth Ridge is more like Southern California, Nevada, and western Arizona with its tan rocks and Joshua trees, and Hennigan's Stead resembles the western parts of Kansas, Oklahoma, central Colorado, and the square part of Texas called the Panhandle Plains, with the eastern end (Stillwater Creek) resembling The South comprising of North Texas, East Texas, and Louisiana.
Locations in New Austin
The following is an alphabetical list of the 46 locations found in New Austin:
- Brittlebrush Trawl
- Butter Bridge (RDR only)
- Dixon Crossing
- MacFarlane's Ranch
- Manteca Falls
- Mason's Bridge (RDR only)
- Montana Ford
- The Old Bacchus Place
- Pike's Basin
- Stillwater Creek
- Tanner's Span (RDR only)
- Thieves' Landing
- Warthington Ranch
- Coot's Chapel
- Critchley's Ranch
- Hamlin's Passing
- The Hanging Rock
- Jorge's Gap
- Lake Don Julio
- Mercer Station
- Odd Fellow's Rest (stylized as Oddfellow's Rest in RDR 2)
- Pleasance House
- Rattlesnake Hollow
- Ridgewood Farm
- Río del Lobo
- Riley's Charge
- Twin Rocks
- Two Crows
- Venter's Place
- Benedict Point
- Cueva Seca
- Gaptooth Breach
- Rathskeller Fork
- Sea of Coronado
- The Scratching Post
- Silent Stead
- Solomon's Folly
- Benedict Pass
- Del Lobo Rock (stylized as Río del Lobo Rock in RDR2)
- Fort Mercer
- Frontera Bridge (RDR only)
- Repentance Rock (stylized as Repentance in RDR2)
The discovery of locations in New Austin counts towards the following Trophies/Achievements:
Uncover every location on the map in Single Player.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.
Red Dead Redemption
- The railroad tunnel between Hennigan's Stead and Cholla Springs and the snow capped canyon in north Hennigan's Stead are some of the few places in the game where the player is, technically, off the map.
- The racing track in Gaptooth Ridge is the westernmost point in the game.
- As with the boundary between New Austin and West Elizabeth, the transition of the music when the player moves between New Austin and Nuevo Paraíso can take some time to register.
- New Austin is the first area the player can roam in the first game whereas in the second game, it is the last area to be unlocked after the epilogue.
Red Dead Redemption 2
- New Austin is unavailable until after the epilogue. However, it can be entered early using a glitch.
- Arthur Morgan in New Austin has his own unique dialogue and journal drawings from that of John Marston. Despite this, Arthur does not visit New Austin at any point in the main storyline.
- Despite New Austin being the second largest territory in the game, only one story mission in Red Dead Redemption 2 is set in the state, "An Honest Day's Labors".
- New Austin is the only American state in the game that does not share a border with New Hanover.
- After the events of the Blackwater Massacre, all of West Elizabeth south of the Upper Montana River was put under lockdown by the Pinkertons. Although this was a device put in the game to prevent the player from straying to New Austin early, it is possible to evade the chasing Pinkertons long enough to reach New Austin, where one can see on the game map that New Austin was also put under the same lockdown with all of southern West Elizabeth as well.
- The cholera epidemic that is plaguing Armadillo in 1907 has caused much of the state to flee in fear, including the MacFarlane Family and much of MacFarlane's Ranch.
- Testament to the rapid growth of the region in the four years (1907-1911) between Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2, much of New Austin is underdeveloped and sparsely populated. The settlements of MacFarlane's Ranch, Thieves Landing, and Rathskeller Fork lack amenities such as a safehouse, general store, gunsmith, etc. In contrast by 1911, the once-prosperous town of Tumbleweed was completely abandoned as a result of the railroad being built to nearby Armadillo instead.
- New Austin, like Ambarino and New Hanover, lacks an established state capital.