The Opossum is a species of animal found in Red Dead Redemption 2.
The Opossum is a moderate sized mammal. Their coats are a dull grayish brown, other than on their faces, which are white. Opossums have long, hairless, prehensile tails, which can be used to grab branches and carry small objects. They also have hairless ears and a long, flat nose. Opossums have 50 teeth, more than any other North American land mammal, and opposable, clawless thumbs on their rear limbs.
The Virginia opossum is noted for reacting to threats by feigning death. This is the genesis of the term "playing possum", which means pretending to be dead or injured with intent to deceive. In the case of the opossum, the reaction seems to be involuntary, and to be triggered by extreme fear. It should not be taken as an indication of docility. It lies on its side, mouth and eyes open, tongue hanging out, emitting a green fluid from its anus whose putrid odor repels predators.
Opossums are omnivorous and eat a wide range of plants and animals such as fruits, grains, insects, snails, earthworms, carrion, snakes, birds, mice, and other small animals.
The opossum can be found mainly in the south-central regions of the map.
- Big Valley
- Grizzlies East
- Wapiti Indian Reservation (to the south)
- Scarlett Meadows
Rank 9 of the Master Hunter Challenges requires you to kill an opossum that’s playing dead.
- The Varmint Rifle is the most effective weapon for hunting these mammals.
- Opossums are nocturnal; you're more likely to find one in the night and early mornings.
- Opossum meat is stringy but edible, and their skin can be used for crafting.
- At the trapper you need 4 perfect opossum pelts to craft the Pronghorn Flop Hat.
- Opossums are extremely easy to hunt, as when they play dead they will not attempt to flee the player unless they try to pick it up.
Skin every species of animal in Story Mode.
Study every animal across all states in Story Mode.