Outfits are sets of clothing that can be worn by the player in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Unlike the outfits in the original Red Dead Redemption, the individual clothes of each outfit are available as separate clothing items, allowing players to freely mix & match them. In addition, players are also given small choices such as rolling up the player character's sleeves and tucking his pants into his boots.
Custom outfits can be saved, but cannot be named and there is a limited number of save slots.
Outfits unlocked by game progression
|Name||Suitable in||Unlocked by|
|The Gunslinger||Hot temperatures||Completing Eastward Bound|
|The Summer Gunslinger||Hot temperatures||Completing Eastward Bound|
|The Winter Gunslinger||Cold temperatures||Unlocked at start of game|
|Brawler's Outfit||Hot temperatures||Completing Eastward bound|
|The Ruffian||Hot temperatures||Completing Eastward Bound|
|The Rebel||Average temperatures||Completing Eastward Bound|
|The Innocent||Hot temperatures||Completing Eastward Bound|
|The Pursuer||Hot temperatures||Completing Eastward Bound|
|The Winter Cowboy||Cold temperatures||Completing Motherhood|
|The Cowboy||Hot temperatures||Completing Motherhood|
|The Cowhand||Hot temperatures||Completing Motherhood|
|The Homesteader||Cold temperatures||Completing Motherhood|
|The Rancher||Hot temperatures||Completing Motherhood|
|The Legend Of The East||All temperatures||Complete all Single-player Challenges.|
|Name||Suitable in||Unlocked by||Notes|
|Nuevo Paraiso Gunslinger Outfit||Hot temperatures||Completing Eastward Bound||Only available in the Special & Ultimate editions of the game.|
|Grizzlies Outlaw Outfit||Average temperatures||Completing Eastward Bound||Originally a PS4 exclusive, has since been added to the other platforms.|
All store-bought outfits are suitable in hot weather.
|Name||Price (in $)||Source (+ Honor Rank)|
|The Bretagne||110.00||Saint Denis|
|The Bulldogger||79.50||Armadillo (HR3)|
|The Chevalier||98.00||Rhodes (HR3)|
|The Corson||105.75||Saint Denis (HR3)|
|The Cowpuncher||107.75||Tumbleweed (HR3)|
|The Cumberland||105.25||Strawberry (HR3)|
|The Deauville||115.00||Saint Denis (HR6)|
|The Dewberry Creek||115.50||Valentine (HR6)|
|The Drifter||88.75||Tumbleweed (HR6)|
|The Drover||90.25||Wallace Station (HR6)|
|The Estate Boss||62.25||Wallace Station|
|The Farrier||118.25||Blackwater (HR6)|
|The Faulkton||84.50||Strawberry (HR6)|
|The Gambler||123.25||Rhodes (HR6)|
|The McLaughlin||104.25||Blackwater (HR3)|
|The Ranch Hand||65.75||Armadillo|
|The Roscoe||96.25||Wallace Station (HR3)|
|The Saint Denis||98.75||Saint Denis|
|The Scrapper||71.50||Armadillo (HR6)|
|The Valentine||113.25||Valentine (HR3)|
Players may also visit the trapper in either Saint Denis or one of his four wilderness locations in order to pay him to craft unique set pieces for additional outfits. Players must provide him with both the money and crafting material; some also require certain challenges to have been met. Once all the pieces of a set have been crafted, the outfit is unlocked:
|Name||Suitable in||Total price||Legendary animal required||Notes|
|The Bear Hunter||Cold temperatures||$117.00|
|The Beast of Prey||Cold temperatures||$144.00||Obtaining the entire outfit requires access to New Austin|
|The Bounty Hunter||Cold temperatures||$68.00||None|
|The Bronco Buster||Cold temperatures||$90.00||None|
|The Death Roll||Cold temperatures||$167.00||Obtaining the entire outfit requires access to New Austin|
|The Desperado||Cold temperatures||$133.00||None||Obtaining the entire outfit requires access to New Austin|
|The Dreamcatcher||Cold temperatures||$139.00||Obtaining the entire outfit requires access to New Autsin|
|The Ghost Bison||Cold temperatures||$133.00|
|The Huntsman||Cold temperatures||$123.00||Obtaining the entire outfit requires access to New Austin|
|The Marauder||Hot temperatures||$77.00||None|
|The Mountain Man||Cold temperatures||$106.00||None|
|The Wrangler||Cold temperatures||$108.00||None|
|The Night Wrangler||Cold temperatures||$103.00||None|
|The Rattler||Hot temperatures||$77.00||None||Obtaining the entire outfit requires access to New Austin|
|The Stalker||Cold temperatures||$108.00|
|The Trophy Buck||Cold temperatures||$115.00|
- The player can obtain the outfits sold in Blackwater, Armadillo and Tumbleweed as Arthur by logging into the Rockstar Social Club on their browser, and going to the Wheeler, Rawson & co. online store and purchasing them from there. The store uses Arthur's money, the outfits are not tied to story progression, and the only reason they are normally unavailable to him is because he cannot enter the stores they're sold in. If bought through the webpage, they'll be added to his wardrobe the next time the game loads up the story mode.
- Certain combinations of clothing may unlock unique lines of dialogue from fellow gang members when interacted with. Wearing oufits with long coat and certain hats (like the Grizzlies outfit combined with a Nevada Hat) may cause Arthur's comrades to comment on how he looks like a sheriff; mixing clothes for different temperatures (like the Bison Hat with the Summer Gunslinger) may cause them to comment on how weird and bizarre he looks; and using outfits too inadequate for the actual temperature (like the Winter Gunslinger in hot regions) will make them wonder if Arthur is well and not feeling too hot or too cold.
- Certain outfits have unique accessories that only appear if the entire outfit is equipped, and cannot be equipped at will. These accessories can be worn with other clothes after the entire outfit has been equipped, but are usually tied to other clothing items and disappear if a specific part of the outfit is changed.
- Both "The Gunslinger" and "The Summer Gunslinger" have a special variant of the blue everyday shirt, which has more open buttons than the normal variant. However, it reverts to the normal variant if any other shirt, vest, coat or neckwear item is equipped. When worn by John Marston, the outfit always uses the normal variant.
- The Grizzlies Outlaw outfit has an unique gun belt, but it only appears if worn by John Marston. The belt stays on as long as the player doesn't change to another belt.
- The three variants of the Cowboy outfit (The Winter Cowboy, The Cowboy, The Cowhand) all have an unique extra ammo belt. However, no vests nor chaps can be equipped or it will disappear, with the only exceptions being the gunslinger vest when equipped as part of the full Cowboy outfit variants and the below-mentioned Winter Cowboy half-chaps.
- The Winter Cowboy includes an unique, darker reskin of the "Legendary Elk Half Chaps" which will remain equipped until the player either unequips them or switches to an another pair of chaps. Additionally, presumably because of an oversight the outfit has no suspenders, so the outfit can be used to remove them if the player so desires.
- The Winter Gunslinger coat is buttoned up in Chapter 1, but cannot be buttoned up after Eastward Bound.
For more specific clothing items in Red Dead Redemption 2, see:
- Coats in Redemption 2
- Shirts in Redemption 2
- Pants in Redemption 2
- Hats/Helmets in Redemption 2
- Gloves in Redemption 2
- Boots in Redemption 2