|“||All of you...get yourselves warm. Stay strong, stay with me. We ain't done yet!||„|
|—Dutch van der Linde|
Outlaws from the West is the first storyline mission in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Following the failure of the Blackwater Massacre and the Van der Linde gang's subsequent escape into a snowstorm in Ambarino, Arthur and Dutch go scouting for supplies and any sign of Micah or John, who were sent to do the same. They soon encounter Micah, who tells them about a nearby homestead and leads them to it. Arthur hides behind a cattle shed and Micah hides behind a wagon whilst Dutch goes to speak to the people inside the house.
As Dutch is speaking, Micah notices a body in the wagon and alerts Arthur, who says that Dutch should be the main focus. The men in the house, who turn out to be members of the O'Driscoll Boys gang, begin to threaten Dutch, ultimately leading to a shootout between Arthur, Dutch, and Micah against said O'Driscolls.
Once the shootout is over, Dutch tells Arthur to help him search the cabin for supplies. Arthur finds food and ammunition, as well as a photograph of the previous inhabitants of the cabin.
Dutch then tells Arthur to search the barn for anything of use in the barn. Arthur enters the barn and is ambushed by an O'Driscoll. A brawl ensues, which Dutch observes in amusement as Arthur easily subdues his opponent. Once the O'Driscoll is defeated, Dutch tells Arthur to beat information out of him. Once he's talked, Dutch gives Arthur the choice of sparing or killing the O'Driscoll. This choice does not affect the story or mission in any way, and only affects the player's Honor.
There is a Tennessee Walker inside the barn which Arthur must calm. Dutch then tells Arthur to lead the horse to a hitching post outside the house, and that Arthur should keep the horse. A commotion is heard inside the house, caused by Micah taunting a woman, who had been hiding in the cellar. The house is set on fire by a knocked lantern. Dutch disarms Sadie and calms her down. The four then return to the rest of the gang.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Take no damage during the shootout.
- Loot 6 or more items from Adler Ranch.
- Complete with at least 80% accuracy.
- Davey Callander - Succumbed to his injuries sustained in the Blackwater Massacre.
- Jake Adler - Killed by the members of the O'Driscoll Boys three days prior to Dutch, Micah and Arthur's arrival on the ranch.
- Various O'Driscolls - Killed by Dutch, Micah and Arthur during the ensuing shootout.
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills or abandons either Dutch or Micah.
- Allows Dutch or Micah to die.
- Assaults, kills or abandons their horse.
- Assaults or kills Micah or Dutch's horse.
- Assaults, kills or abandons the horse in the barn.
- Javier Escuella's only appearance in this mission is just before the title of the chapter appears on the screen. He can be seen from behind, one of two men riding a horse following the third wagon in the caravan. He and Susan Grimshaw are the only members at the cabin that cannot be seen through the windows, although unlike Javier, Susan speaks and can be seen clearly in the cutscenes.
- A marker indicating Davey's corpse can be seen on the minimap, although it is impossible to see his body through the windows. It's possible Javier and Susan are in this same area.
- If glitched into the cabin, the player can see Davey's corpse as well as greet all the gang members inside.
- Charles stands in front of Susan after the cutscene ends.
- Hosea's first lines mention that it's May at the time the mission take place. This would mean the events of the first six chapters likely takes place from May 1899 until late in the year, with Chapter 2 possibly starting in either late May or early June 1899.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophies/Achievements:
Earn 70 Gold Medals in Story missions.
Attain 100% Completion.