|“||All of you... get yourselves warm. Stay strong, stay with me. We ain't done yet!||„|
|—Dutch van der Linde|
Outlaws from the West is the first storyline mission in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Following the failure of the Blackwater Massacre and the Van der Linde gang's subsequent escape into a snowstorm in Ambarino, Arthur and Dutch go scouting for supplies and any sign of Micah or John, who were sent to do the same. They soon encounter Micah, who tells them about a nearby homestead and leads them to it. Arthur hides behind a cattle shed and Micah hides behind a wagon whilst Dutch goes to speak to the people inside the house.
As Dutch is speaking, Micah notices a body in the wagon and alerts Arthur, who says that Dutch should be the main focus. The men in the house, who turn out to be members of the O'Driscoll Boys gang, begin to threaten Dutch, ultimately leading to a shootout between Arthur, Dutch, and Micah against said O'Driscolls.
Once the shootout is over, Dutch tells Arthur to help him search the cabin for supplies. Arthur finds food and ammunition, as well as a photograph of the previous inhabitants of the cabin.
Dutch then tells Arthur to search the barn for anything of use there. Arthur enters the barn and is ambushed by an O'Driscoll. A brawl ensues, which Dutch observes in amusement as Arthur easily subdues his opponent. Once the O'Driscoll is defeated, Dutch tells Arthur to beat information out of him. Once he's talked, Dutch gives Arthur the choice of sparing or killing the O'Driscoll, or can simply knock him unconscious. If the player lets him go, he'll appear in a later mission only to be killed.
There is a Tennessee Walker inside the barn which Arthur must calm. Dutch then tells Arthur to lead the horse to a hitching post outside the house, and that Arthur should keep the horse. A commotion is heard inside the house, caused by Micah taunting a woman, who had been hiding in the cellar. The house is set on fire by a knocked lantern. Dutch disarms Sadie and calms her down. The four then return to the rest of the gang.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Take no damage during the shootout.
- Loot 6 or more items from Adler Ranch.
- Complete with at least 80% accuracy.
- Davey Callander - Succumbed to his injuries sustained in the Blackwater Massacre.
- Jake Adler - Killed by the members of the O'Driscoll Boys three days prior to Dutch, Micah and Arthur's arrival on the ranch.
- Various O'Driscolls - Killed by Dutch, Micah and Arthur during the ensuing shootout.
- Billy - Killed by either Arthur, Dutch or Micah.
- Declan - Killed by either Arthur, Dutch or Micah.
- Unnamed O'Driscoll (optional) - can be killed after being interrogated by Arthur
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills or abandons either Dutch or Micah.
- Allows Dutch or Micah to die.
- Assaults, kills or abandons their horse.
- Assaults or kills Micah or Dutch's horse.
- Assaults, kills or abandons the horse in the barn.
Background Music Played in the Mission
- "By 1899, The Age Of Outlaws And Gunslingers Was At An End" - Played at the very beginning of the intro.
- "Outlaws from the West A" - Played when Arthur, Dutch and Micah fight off the O'Driscoll Boys to rescue Sadie.
- This mission will automatically continue into the second mission of Chapter 1, "Enter, Pursued by a Memory"
- Javier Escuella's only appearance in this mission is just before the title of the chapter appears on the screen. He can be seen from behind, riding alongside Micah following the third wagon in the caravan. If the player glitches into the cabin, Javier is nowhere to be seen. It's possible that he was also scouting like John and Micah, though since he is the only one of the three not mentioned, his absence is more likely an oversight.
- A marker indicating Davey's corpse can be seen on the minimap, although it is impossible to see his body through the windows.
- If glitched into the cabin, the player can see Davey's corpse as well as greet all the gang members inside. To get in, the player must dismount their horse to the left of the door and immediately go into first person view as they continue to walk forward; this will cause the door to open, and make it possible for Arthur to enter.
- As of patch 1.14, the glitch is impossible to do.
- Charles stands in front of Susan after the cutscene ends, right next to the door.
- Once leaving the barn to hitch the horse it is no longer possible to enter it as there is an invisible wall.
- Hosea's first lines mention that it's May at the time the mission takes place. This would mean the events of the first six chapters likely take place from May 1899 until late in the year, with Chapter 2 possibly starting in either late May or early June 1899.
- If looking at the map during the opening credits, Micah’s icon can be seen with the caravan, even though Micah was sent ahead prior to the cutscene.
- During free roam before and after the third Chapter I mission, Arthur may offer to give Sadie the horse he took from the barn back, but Sadie will say that it belonged to the O'Driscolls and that she wouldn't care if he killed it.
- The compendium may be accessed during this mission, but it will be locked afterwards and remain locked until "The Aftermath of Genesis".
- The opening scene of the gang's caravan going through the snowstorm actually takes place outside the map. The area is northwest of Spider Gorge past the map boundary and can only be visited again by the player through glitches or modifications.
- The encouraging speech Dutch gives in the opening cutscene will be repeated by him once the gang set up camp at Beaver Hollow.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophies/Achievements:
Earn 70 Gold Medals in Story missions.
Attain 100% Completion.
- Not included in The Music of Red Dead Redemption 2: Original Score