|“||Fast, ferocious, real elusive... bit of a legend in those parts.||„|
The Panther is an animal found in Red Dead Redemption 2.
Panthers only spawn in certain areas. They will often attack the player's horse first. They are efficient killers, and the player has little time to react once they appear.
- Like the cougar, the panther is very aggressive and will attack players on sight. It may quickly charge towards players or wait in the bushes for an ambush. As a result, players should be extra careful when travelling into areas where panthers are most commonly found.
- The Eagle Eye is extremely useful in this situation, as panthers in the forest are relatively difficult to detect.
- The safest method to hunt panthers is by killing it from a distance. For example, placing predator bait in an open area to lure a panther out and then shooting it with a scoped rifle.
- Alternatively, players might choose a bolder method by using themselves as bait. To do this, players must keep their weapon (bow or rifle) drawn, then ride their horse into the hunting area. Once a panther is spotted, it is crucial that you shoot it as quickly as possible.
- Avoid letting a panther come too close as it is a very agile predator which can swiftly kill players at close range.
- If farming a pristine panther for the Kit Satchel, Old Harry Fen is far more likely than East of Lagras to actually have panthers (either regular or Florida), but even so, will only have one around for the player to fight each time they arrive to the region, and a new one will not spawn until the player reenters from very far away. The best strategy is therefore to fast travel to Rhodes and save the game just south of Bolger Glade. When the panther is encountered, if the quality is not 3-star (or the player is killed), simply reload.
- Killing the panther cleanly for a high-quality pelt requires a high-damage weapon such as an express cartridge or split point cartridge rifle shot, or an improved arrow, but care must be taken not to damage the pelt, so a headshot is required. Explosive ammunition will reduce the quality to 1-star.
- A Cat Skull Mask can be found in Lakay to the southwest of its spawn area.
- The species of the Panther seems dubious at first glance; it acts and is the same size as a Cougar, but it has rosettes reminiscent of a jaguar or leopard. It also roars (as opposed to growling like a cougar), while cougars can only hiss and meow in real life. The Compendium photo for the Panther in-game is a jaguar, further adding to the confusion.
- To add to the confusion even further, the Legendary variant of the Panther is called Giaguaro.
- The Kit Satchel upgrade requires a perfect panther pelt.
- The Panther Trail saddle (crafted from a single panther pelt at a Trapper) is arguably the best saddle in the game when it comes to speed/stamina, as it gives the following bonuses:
- -20% HP core drain
- -26% Stamina core drain
- -50% Stamina drain
- +24% stamina regeneration rate
- +2 to both top speed and acceleration
Skin every species of animal in Story Mode.
Study every animal across all states in Story Mode.