Arthur wakes Uncle up in camp while he's sleeping. After pointing out Uncle's constant laziness, Arthur tells him to get in the wagon as they need to get some things in Valentine. Karen, Tilly, and Mary-Beth convince Arthur to let them go as well. As they near Valentine, the group encounter a man whose wagon has broken down. Arthur can either help him get his horse back from nearby, send Tilly to do it, or refrain entirely; helping the man results in a small Honor boost, while refusing results in a small loss. Once they resume the ride, they reach Valentine, where the women explore the town in order to find any leads, while Arthur and Uncle buy supplies from the store and relax outside with a bottle of whiskey, before Arthur dozes off.
Afterward, Arthur is awakened by Mary-Beth, who tells Arthur of a train they can rob. Arthur then notices Tilly is being harassed by a man across the street. After sternly warning the man to leave, Arthur enters the Saints Hotel to find Karen. He finds her having been hit by a man she was attempting to steal from, who Arthur then knocks out. After the group meets outside, someone asks Arthur if he was in Blackwater, as part of the failed ferry robbery. Arthur denies it, but the man doesn't believe him and rides off. Arthur steals a horse from a resident in the town and chases after the man until he is bucked off his horse and hanging on a cliff. Arthur can choose to either save him or kill him. If he is saved, the man says that his name is Jimmy Brooks and thanks Arthur, who admits that he was in Blackwater recently. As thanks, Brooks gives Arthur a pen and rides away; the player will gain a significant amount of Honor accordingly. Alternatively, the player can stamp on his hand and cause Brooks to fall to his death, causing a substantial loss of Honor.
After completion of the mission, the player may return the horse to its owner in Valentine for a small gain in Honor.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Return the lost wagon horse to its owner.
- Find Karen within 45 seconds.
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills, or abandons Uncle, Mary-Beth, Tilly, or Karen;
- Destroys or abandons the wagon;
- Assaults or kills the man who needs help with his wagon;
- Alerts the law;
- Lets Jimmy Brooks escape;
- Jimmy Brooks (optional) - Fell to his death after losing his grip
- Arthur's proximity to Uncle affects how he wakes him up - if he's close enough, he will kick Uncle in the leg, but if he isn't he will simply shout at him.
- During the girls' song on the way to Valentine, Karen mixes up the lyrics at one point and laughs about it. This was a genuine moment made during recording that was left in the final game.
- If the player does nothing while Jimmy Brooks is hanging from the cliff, he will fail to get back on and eventually fall to his death.
- There are two bits of foreshadowing quotes that Arthur will remember during his final ride to camp in the "Red Dead Redemption" mission depending on his Honor:
- If Arthur questions Brooks about recognising him while the latter is hanging onto the cliff, he will say, "I made a mistake, I’m sorry!", a line that Arthur remembers if his Honor is low.
- Afterward, if Arthur decides to help Brooks climb back up to safety, the latter will say, "You saved my life... you're a good man!", a line that Arthur remembers if his Honor is high.
- While searching for Karen, if the player enters the room to the right from the rent room they will encounter the constipated man that can be heard every time the player enters the hotel in free roam. Additionally, if the player enters room 1B before heading upstairs, they will encounter a member of the Chelonians praying on his knees.
- After the mission is complete, the bathroom and room 2A in the Saints Hotel will become temporarily unlocked for the player to explore. Moreover, the hotel clerk asks him not to cause any trouble.
- Arthur writes two pages in his journal after the mission is complete; the second page will differ depending on the fate of Jimmy Brooks.
- Arthur may have a few contextual conversations at camp after this mission. He may tell Dutch about being recognized by the Man from Blackwater, he may tell Mary-Beth that she did good finding out about the train, he may ask Tilly about the guy that hassled her, and he may ask Karen if she has recovered. Some of the girls at camp may be available to talk about Valentine generally in the subsequent days.
- The pen that Jimmy Brooks gives Arthur is a unique item. When Mary-Beth tells Arthur she would like a pen for her writing, this particular one cannot be used to satisfy said item request.