The Pump-action Shotgun is one of four Shotguns available in Red Dead Redemption. Its six rounds give it the largest ammunition capacity of any of the in-game shotguns, but at the expense of slower reloads.
Red Dead Redemption
- The player can receive the Pump-action Shotgun from a member of Dutch's Gang during the mission "And The Truth Will Set You Free".
- The player can also obtain it by killing Edgar Ross in the Stranger Side-mission "Remember my Family" outside the duel. It is possible that he may carry a semi-auto shotgun instead, in which case the player can keep reload their save until Ross has the Pump-action in his possession.
- The player receives it simply by saving Torquemada from a zombie invasion.
- The Pump-action Shotgun is unlocked into the player's regular inventory upon reaching rank 11.
Tips & Tricks
- Like almost every other weapon in the game, combining Dead Eye Targeting with this shotgun drastically increases its range. It should be noted that the shot still spreads, meaning aiming for the head in Dead Eye of a target very far away will not guarantee an instant kill.
- This weapon is based on the real world Winchester Model 1897.
- This weapon is very effective in Multiplayer. It has largest magazine of all shotguns found in the game, and it does have a stable fire rate (not too quick or slow), that prevents the player shooting the entire magazine into one enemy.
- It's also quite powerful, as it can perform one-shot kill at close ranges (about 5 ft) and two shot kill at up to about 15 ft, though it loses out to the Semi-auto Shotgun in terms of sheer power. The Pump-action Shotgun can be more powerful than its Semi-auto Shotgun counterpart when within the one shot kill zone, making it useful in close combat scenarios.
- In promotional pre-release material, this shotgun appeared to be a hybrid between the Winchester Model 11 and 1897, but once the game came out, the in-game shotgun was clearly an 1897.
- The magazine tube and barrel of this weapon are rusted.
- The Pump-action Shotgun is the last weapon to be unlocked in the single player campaign.
The Pump-action Shotgun can be used to unlock the following Trophies/Achievements:
Get 250 headshots in any game mode.
Get a headshot while in Expert Mode in Singleplayer.
Kill 500 enemies with any rifle, repeater, or shotgun