As the gang are riding away from the train robbery, they run into Tilly Jackson who informs them that Abigail has been captured by Agent Milton. Along with some persuasion from Micah, Dutch refuses to rescue her and, along with most of the others, rides back to Beaver Hollow. Arthur and Sadie, however, stay behind to rescue Abigail, with Arthur expressing his horror at how Dutch and the gang have changed, as well as the deaths of various gang members that have happened recently.
Upon reaching Van Horn, Sadie requests that Arthur takes up a position at the top of the lighthouse with a sniper rifle and, despite some objections, Arthur does so. Sadie and Arthur manage to eliminate the various Pinkertons, and Sadie reaches Milton’s domain, only to be taken hostage by him. Arthur follows and eventually reaches the building. He begins to release Abigail but is held at gunpoint by Milton, where it is revealed that Micah was the rat all along. Arthur tries to wrestle Milton’s revolver off him, but struggles due to his advanced Tuberculosis. Meanwhile, Abigail manages to break free and shoots Milton in the temple, killing him and saving Arthur’s life. With Milton gone, the three escape Van Horn.
At some point during the ride, Arthur stops and tells them that he wants to go back to confront the others, while sending Abigail and Sadie to Copperhead Landing to re-unite with Jack. On the way to Beaver Hollow, "That’s The Way It Is" will play, with various quotes throughout the game being remembered by Arthur.
Upon reaching Beaver Hollow, Arthur informs the others that Milton is dead and that Micah is the traitor. Micah strongly denies it and Dutch remains silent. As the tensions continue to rise, John arrives, revealing that Dutch left him to die during the robbery. Arthur tells the gang’s members to choose their side; Micah tells him to be quiet, but Susan Grimshaw sides with Arthur and John, and points a shotgun at Micah, demanding that he put his guns down. Immediately afterwards, Javier announces that Pinkertons are closing in, which comes at the wrong time for Susan, as it distracts her, giving Micah the chance to shoot her, resulting in Susan’s death. Dutch then pulls out his pair of revolvers, demanding to know who is “with“ him and who is “betraying” him. Eventually, most of the gang unites behind Dutch and Micah against Arthur and John, holding the pair at gunpoint. Before any shooting can happen, Pinkertons led by Milton’s former subordinate Agent Ross attack the camp, and the gang flee in different directions.
Arthur and John escape through the caves, with Pinkertons on their tail. Arthur reveals to John that Micah is the rat, and that his family are safe at Copperhead Landing. They mount their horses and escape, pursued by Dutch and the others. Eventually, their horses are shot from under them and the two climb up the mountains on foot. After some climbing, Arthur tells John that he might return to the camp to retrieve the money, as Abigail gave him the key to Dutch’s chest. John says that he would rather go back to his family, and so the player is left with two options:
Help John to escape: John and Arthur continue going over the mountains, until Arthur tells John that he can’t go any further (due to his now-advanced Tuberculosis). John is reluctant to leave Arthur’s side, but eventually does so after persuasion from Arthur, calling him his ”brother”. After holding off some Pinkertons, Arthur is tackled to the ground by Micah and the two engage in a lengthy brawl. By the end, both men are badly beaten, and Micah‘s revolver comes out of its holster. Arthur crawls towards it in order to shoot Micah, but is prevented from doing so by Dutch, who steps on it. Arthur states again that Micah is the rat, that he gave all he had for the gang and that John was the only one who “made it”. Dutch walks away from the scene, leaving Arthur and Micah behind. If Arthur’s Honor is high, Micah will angrily walk away, and Arthur is left at the scene. He crawls on to a rock and watches one last sunrise before succumbing to his illness. If Arthur’s Honor is low, then Micah approaches Arthur and laments how he isn’t any better than he is, before shooting Arthur in the head with his revolver, spitting on Arthur’s corpse, and leaving.
Go back for the money: Arthur bids John farewell and gives him all of his possessions, before heading back to Beaver Hollow. After fighting his way past Pinkertons, he enters the cave at the site and finds a huge sack of money from Dutch’s chest. However, when he exits the cave with it, he is ambushed by Micah and stabbed in the side, but quickly manages to wrestle Micah off him before the stab wound can be made any deeper. The two then engage in a knife fight, which can end in two different ways depending on the player's honor: If Arthur’s Honor is high, he will slash Micah’s left eye during the fight, leaving this eye permanently scarred and blind. Micah will tackle Arthur and try to stab him, but is unsuccessful, before Dutch arrives and breaks up the fight. Arthur re-iterates that Micah is the traitor, but Dutch leaves both of them behind. Micah also leaves, and is seen taking the money sack which Arthur had for himself, while Arthur is left to die from his Tuberculosis and his injuries. If Arthur’s Honor is low, he will lose his balance in the fight instead, and Micah will tackle him. Micah stabs Arthur in the chest during this struggle, but Dutch arrives and breaks it up before Micah can stab him any further. Arthur pleads Dutch to kill Micah, the true traitor, but Dutch simply abandons the two. With Arthur and Micah left together, Micah kills Arthur by stabbing him in the back.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Get 7 headshots while covering Sadie from the lighthouse.
- After Sadie is captured, reach Abigail and Sadie within 1 minute.
- Complete with at least 70% accuracy.
- Complete the mission without taking any health items.
- Andrew Milton - Shot in the head by Abigail Roberts during the struggle between him and Arthur.
- Susan Grimshaw - Killed by Micah Bell in response to threatening him when he is exposed as a traitor by Arthur.
- Arthur Morgan - Either killed by Micah by being stabbed in the back (low Honor; Return for the money); or from a gunshot to the forehead (Low Honor: Help John get to safety) or left to die from the final stages of his tuberculosis, his injuries, and probably exhaustion (high honor; both choices).
- Pinkerton agents - Killed by various members of the Van der Linde gang.
- Arthur’s Honor will heavily impact his last ride as well as his death. Should Arthur have high Honor, the song “That‘s The Way It Is” will be more somber and emotional while more positive dialogue will play reflecting Arthur’s life. He will succumb to his tuberculosis on either the cliffs if Arthur goes with John or the camp if Arthur goes back for the money, watching one final sunrise before a vision of a Buck appears as he dies. However, if Arthur’s Honor was low, the song will play a more dark depressing version of the song with quotes reflecting Arthur’s life will be more negative and his death being at the hands of Micah in both endings, a gunshot to the head if Arthur goes with John or a knife in the back if Arthur went back for the money, with one more vision of a black coyote shown on-screen. In either case, a version of "Crash of Worlds" will play depending on the player's Honor.
- If restarting this mission via the Progress part of the main menu, players will not have any of the core bonuses there but will have some weapons there that are only available during the epilogue. Players are advised be careful during the rescue part in Van Horn Trading Post as majority of enemies have high powered weapons.
- After this mission, all of Arthur’s weapons and clothing will be transferred to John except his money, it is advised if players have any remaining treasure maps still not completed before the start of “Our Best Selves” are to leave them till the start of the Epilogue or if any gold bars are found but are still in possession are to refrain from selling them till the start of the Epilogue, also any sellable jewels or any sellable items that are on Arthur will still be there and are given to John. Additionally, Honor for John will be reset in the middle once the Epilogue starts.
- Any horses Arthur owns that are in the stables will disappear and be lost after this mission.
- If played normally through the story and leaving at any point of the mission, players will need to restart from "Our Best Selves" as it will automatically continue into "Red Dead Redemption".
- After Arthur and John leave the caves at Beaver Hollow, Cleet and Joe appear as enemies on the mini-map, although Dutch and Micah do not. All four can be shot, as well as their horses, though they cannot be locked onto. Their vital spots will also appear in Dead Eye. However, no matter where or how many times they are hit, none can be killed; they're also unaffected by dynamite.
- Milton reveals that Micah has been working for him as an informant after the gang returned from Guarma. However this does not explain how the Pinkertons could ambush the gang at the Saint Denis Bank, which happened before they fled to Guarma.
- However, it is possible that Micah had yet to reveal his identity to the Pinkertons before the heist and instead called in an anonymous tip on it, and only revealed himself after his return from Guarma.
- Bill and Javier are not seen after the player regains control of Arthur during the Pinkerton ambush at Beaver Hollow. It is impossible to see them leaving and they never appear on the minimap as allies, unlike the rest of the gang. Their sudden disappearance is likely meant to imply that they chose to flee instead of fight alongside Dutch against the Pinkertons.
- If Arthur’s Horse has reached at least level 3 horse bonding, a scene will play after the small shootout when the horses are shot where Arthur runs to his horse and comforts it before its death.
- Whether Arthur is wearing a hat or not before his last ride, he will always put his default hat on before the ride back to camp. If Arthur has a hat on, even if it's the default, it will automatically be shot off during the escape from Van Horn.
- During this mission, the red patch around Roanoke Ridge and its towns, Bayou Nwa and the surroundings of Saint Denis and Blackwater will be gone.
- During the shootout with the Pinkertons, Micah aims the gun at the agents but won't actually shoot at them, whilst the others do.
- In the fistfight between Arthur and Micah, if Arthur chose to go with John, three cutscenes can play if the player loses to Micah. In the first one, when struggling to stand up, Micah punches Arthur until he falls to his knees before delivering a final blow. The second happens when forced to the ground, Micah punches Arthur numerous times and tells him that he heard enough of his "yapping"; he then proceeds to stomp on Arthur's face. The third one happens while Arthur is pinned to the wall and Micah will throw him to the ground before swearing he'll go after John as well, subsequently ending with him choking Arthur. If Arthur chose to go back for the money but fails the prompt button when Micah attempts to stab Arthur near the end, depending on his Honor, if it is low, he will say “Bye bye, Arthur” before stabbing him in the chest. He then says that “it’s been quite a ride” before stabbing him again and bumping the knife deeper into him. If his Honor is high, he will just simply plunge the knife into his chest.
- These will all result in a mission failure and restart the player from before whichever section of the fight.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophies/Achievements:
Complete Red Dead Redemption.
Attain 100% Completion.