|The above video was added by FANDOM's Staff, not members of the Red Dead Wiki. Please take notice that the above video may contain inaccuracies or out-of-date information regarding the article's subject matter.|
|“|| Out in the frontier there are people living an everyday existence and struggling to survive. You can find these Strangers out in the wilderness or in the local towns. They are marked by '?' on your map, and can be spoken to when not busy with a mission.|
Their tasks can be as simple as finding a friend or loved one, picking some flowers, hunting some animals, or delivering items across the dangerous frontier. Violence can often solve these problems, but think hard before letting your gun speak first.
Unlike narrative missions, Stranger's tasks can be started and finished at any time. Active tasks will be tracked for you on the map. This journal will record the name of the task, as well as the objectives for each stage.
Strangers are special NPC characters featured in Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption 2. Unlike core gameplay missions, these side-missions can be initiated and completed at any time. Strangers will request tasks or offer opportunities to the player.
Strangers are represented on the map by a question mark "?" icon. These question mark icons only appear on the map when the player is close to their locations. Visit the question mark icon to begin dramatic, and sometimes dangerous, chains of events.
Occasionally, the player will be given a choice on how to complete the mission, yielding either positive or negative results for the player's honor. Additionally, the successful completion of these activities will often reward players with cash.
Red Dead Redemption
For more information on where to initiate these tasks, how to complete them, and all other details, please choose the desired one.
- "American Appetites" - Randall Forrester • Grace Anderson • Ralph Anderson
- "California" - Sam Odessa
- "Flowers for a Lady" - Billy West • Annabel West
- "Funny Man" - Jimmy Saint
- "I Know You" - Strange Man
- "Jenny's Faith" - Jenny
- "Let No Man Put Asunder" - Alma Horlick • Peter Turner • Nathan Harling • Rose Harling
- "Lights, Camera, Action" - D.S. MacKenna • Silas Spatchcock
- "Water and Honesty" - Andrew McAllister • Clyde Evans
- "Who Are You to Judge?" - Jeb Blankenship • Ann Stephenson • Lucy
- "Aztec Gold" - Basilio Aguirre Olmos de la Vargas
- "Deadalus and Son" - Charles Kinnear
- "Eva in Peril" - Eva Cortes • Mario Alcalde
- "Love is the Opiate" - Zhou • Juan de la Vara
- "Poppycock" - Uriah Tollets • Juan de la Vara
- "American Lobbyist" - Mr. Philmore in Blackwater • The Gossiper in Blackwater Bank
- "The Prohibitionist" - Abner Forsyth • Oliver Phillips
- "Remember My Family" - Agent Howard Sawicki • Edgar Ross • Emily Ross • Phillip Ross
- "The Wronged Woman" - Clara LaGuerta • Harold Thornton • Elizabeth Thornton
Red Dead Redemption 2
Horseshoe Overlook Chapter
- "The Noblest of Man, and a Woman" - Theodore Levin • Jim "Boy" Calloway • Emmet Granger • Flaco Hernandez • Billy Midnight • Black Belle
- "All That Glitters" - Máximo Cristóbal Valdespino
- "American Dreams" - Edmund Lowry Jr.
- "The Smell of the Grease Paint" - Miss Marjorie • Bertram • Magnifico
- "Arcadia for Amateurs" - Albert Mason
- "A Fine Night For It"
- "Geology for Beginners" - Francis Sinclair
- "A Test of Faith" - Deborah MacGuiness
- "Smoking and other Hobbies" - Phineas T. Ramsbottom
Clemens Point Chapter
- "He's British, of Course" - Margaret
- "A Fisher of Fish" - Jeremy Gill
- "The Iniquities of History" - Jeremiah Compson
- "No Good Deed" - Dr. Alphonse Renaud
Saint Denis Chapter
- "Oh, Brother" - Proetus & Acrisius•Helen
- "A Bright Bouncing Boy" - Marko Dragic
- "The Mercies of Knowledge" - Andrew Bell III
- "The Artist’s Way" - Charles Châtenay
- "The Ties That Bind Us"" - Sampson Black (Mr. Black) & Wendell White (Mr. White)
- "Help a Brother Out" - Brother Dorkins
- "Duchesses and other Animals" - Algernon Wasp
- "Idealism and Pragmatism for Beginners" - Henri Lemieux
Beaver Hollow Chapter
- "Wisdom of the Elders" - Obediah Hinton
- “The Veteran” - Hamish Sinclair
- "Of Men and Angels" - Sister Calderón
- Most Stranger missions ask the player to wait a couple of in-game days before the next part of the mission becomes available. Instead of waiting the player can just save the game at any property/campsite and then reload that save, or an auto-save in case this feature is turned on.
- Several Stranger missions were cut from Red Dead Redemption before the game was released:
- In one, John encounters a lonely dwarf with a hatred of people. John ends up feeling sorry for him and goes searching for someone to befriend the dwarf. Eventually John encounters a large man described as a giant. However after meeting each other the giant ends up killing someone by accidentally smothering them. The dwarf then encourages John to kill the giant and the large man's fate is left in the player's hands. Only the audio for this cut mission remains, and it can be heard here.
- In another, John must gather four stolen holy relics for Mother Superior. The first relic is described as being in the possession of a hermit in New Austin. One was being sold in the Pacific Union Railroad Camp. The next, in possession of a criminal who lives in Tumbleweed, and finally, one by an outlaw hunted by bounty hunters. It can be heard here.
There are three trophies/achievements associated with completing Stranger tasks:
Complete a task for a stranger.
Complete 15 tasks for Strangers.
Attain 100% in the singleplayer completion stat.