It is an encampment east of the river running south out of Aurora Basin.
Red Dead Redemption 2
In the stranger mission "The American Inferno, Burnt Out" John Marston encounters Evelyn Miller at the cliffs along the Upper Montana River, who invites him to visit Tanner's Reach, where he is staying. After Marston helps Miller deal with a group of hunters who are overhunting the area, Miller locks himself in the cabin to finish a book, refusing to eat or drink anything until it is complete. Despite Marston delivering him food, Miller dies of starvation in the cabin. Marston, returning to deliver food, finds him and after reading a letter from Miller stating he wants to "fly with the eagles" instead of being left to "rot with the worms". Marston takes Millers final book and uses a oil latern to set fire to the cabin, riding away as the fire causes the roof to cave in.
Red Dead Redemption
The cabin itself has been rebuilt, and around it is a good area for hunting animals, especially bears and cougars, which are very commonly found; the people who owned the cabin look like they have been hunting for a while. Tanner's Reach also serves as the location of several bounty targets.
A survivor can be found outside the cabin, shooting at the undead. Once all in the vicinity are killed, he will tell Marston not to go in the cabin since many undead are trapped inside. Along with them, however, is a chest with ammunition. It is possible, albeit unlikely, that the bottle of N.W. Dickens' Elixir in the cabin is what attracted the undead, as it is used as bait throughout the storyline.
There is another random encounter here that has a lone survivor inside the house which is itself surrounded by zombies. Another rider will appear from up the road, but he is not a very good shot. The player needs to protect the rider and kill the undead surrounding the house. Once they are dead, go inside the cabin and the survivor will flee, ultimately ending up on the back of the horse of the protected rider. They will ride off and the player will receive random ammo.
In addition to the cabin located here, there is a grave but the gravestone has no name or information on it. Inside the house is a chest containing cash.
There is also a bottle of "N.W. Dickens' Elixir" on the shelf next to the fireplace (it can't be picked up, or used however). It is best to look at the shelf with a sniper scope or binoculars. Seeing as how one of the effects of the "medicine" (as stated in a newspaper) is a "prompt and violent emptying of the bowels", the elixir could have played a role in how the person (who was probably a trapper, or a family member) died. Therefore, there is a possibility that the person died from chronic diarrhea, (similar to the death of Owen MacFarlane who also died of chronic diarrhea)
- Bears show up frequently around this location.
- Cougars seem to attack players here often in Multiplayer and frequently attack players in single-player.
- There is a cabin in Tanner's Reach where bears and cougars cannot harm the player, but the player can shoot them through a window. The player should be careful though, if they take cover under the window the cougars can still hit and kill them. This cabin makes a good retreat spot if the player is caught off guard by a bear/cougar.
- This is also the best location for hunting elks (but not the safest).
- Online, this place has earned the nickname 'Cougar Hell' because of the massive population of cougars in free roam.
- A bottle of N.W. Dickens' Elixir can be seen in the shelf of the cabin.
- This is a very frequent location for bounty targets to be found. Many bounties that the player can accept in Blackwater will lead them to a bounty target at this location. There is a small hill just to the northeast that is perfect for sneaking up on the outlaws at the cabin. They can be taken out from this vantage point fairly easily.
- Sometimes when the player approaches the cabin, Marston can be heard questioning the whereabouts of the inhabitants, similar to when he approaches certain other places in the game.
- There is a chest inside the cabin that contains $15-$25.
- Sean can be encoutered here in Red Dead Online.
Red Dead Redemption
Uncover every location on the map in Single Player.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.