John Marston and his group, consisting of Marshal Leigh Johnson, Deputies Eli and Jonah, Nigel West Dickens, Irish, Seth Briars and an unknown deputy break into Fort Mercer, and try to find and capture Bill Williamson. West Dickens provides an armored stagecoach, Seth distracts the gang, Irish provides a Gatling Gun, and the Marshal and his deputies provide firepower. John then is to find that he had fled to Mexico to find Javier Escuella. John therefore must head to Mexico using the help from Irish and continue his search for Bill Williamson.
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
- Leigh Johnson mission: "Hanging Bonnie MacFarlane";
- Nigel West Dickens mission: "The Sport of Kings, and Liars";
- Seth Briars mission: "Let the Dead Bury Their Dead"; and
- Irish mission: "On Shaky's Ground"
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Board Nigel's wagon and sneak into the fort.
- Gun down the bandits with the Gatling Gun.
- Fight his way around the fort ramparts.
- Regroup with his allies.
- Gun down the bandit reinforcements with the Gatling Gun.
This is the first mission in which you are able to use a Gatling Gun. In the mission the Gatling Gun is mounted inside West Dicken's stagecoach. As the stagecoach pulls inside, the back opens up and the posse is engaged in a fierce firefight with members of Williamson's gang. They will approach from directly in front of the wagon and to the right of it. The well in the center of the courtyard will crumble under enough concentrated fire, allowing easier aiming for some of the more hidden enemies. When they are dealt with, a search of the rest of the Fort reveals Williamson is not there, and the only inhabitants are a few of his goons. The last sequence of the mission has the player man the Gatling again and fend off reinforcements attacking the main gate of the fort. These reinforcements include both mounted and unmounted enemies, and 2 wagons with Gatling Guns mounted on them. You will fail the mission if Leigh Johnson or any Deputy dies. Once they've been dealt with, sit back and enjoy the treatment of prisoners in the old west!
- If the player is having trouble dealing with the two Gatling Gun wagons, there is a dynamite box on each of these wagons located slightly behind the driver. Simply shoot the boxes to take the wagons out easily.
- Make sure to check all the rooms in Fort Mercer; money, ammunition for Weapons, and other valuables can be found in chests hidden through the fort.
The mission will fail if the player:
- Abandons his traveling companions.
- Assaults or kills Marshal Johnson, Eli, Jonah, Irish or Nigel.
- Kills any horse ridden by Marshal Johnson, Eli, Jonah or Irish.
- Kills the horses pulling Nigel's coach.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk (if any).
New Game Elements Introduced
- Firing a mounted weapon
- Despite the fact that Irish apparently never turned up to the battle, he is still seen alongside Marston in the opening cutscene.
- Despite this being Williamson's Gang, two Bollard Twin Gang members (Harry Dobbing and another) appear in the cutscene and momentarily in the gun fight but are more than likely killed instantly from machine gun fire. Unlike other criminals who's character model respawn often, only these two respawn once.
- In earlier missions Eli referred to West Dickens usually as "Mr." or other respectful terms, yet here he simply calls him the "snake oil guy".
- The "Assault on Fort Mercer" may have been inspired by the scene in The Dirty Dozen in which Lee Marvin's commandos win a war game by smuggling a heavy machine gun in an ambulance.
Complete The Assault on Fort Mercer.
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.
|Hey there, cowboy. This article looks a little bit small.|
I reckon you could impress me by contributing to it. Don't be shy now.