To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
John Marston walks into Chuparosa, a dusty & quiet town, fresh off the ferry and a new arrival to Mexico. He is greeted in a rather unpleasant way by a group of banditos and they demand a toll. They continue to terrorize John but he is forced to gun them down and leaves them to rot in the sun in the middle of the town after one steals his hat and another tries to make him take off his boots.
However, an old man witnessed all of this and mocks John's gun skills. He is an American too and offers to show John some techniques. The pair bond as they practice shooting. The old man is revealed to be Landon Ricketts, a retired and legendary gunslinger who was supposedly the fastest shot in the Old West. He gives John a lay of the land, talking about the local government and the smell of a revolution coming.
Later they are tasked to save a supply wagon that was hijacked outside of town by another group of banditos. Landon is the "town savior" and is respected by the locals. They return the wagon and Landon gets a hero's welcome back, while John is left standing...
Before this mission becomes available, the player must complete:
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Use Dead-Eye to tag and shoot three (3) bottles.
- Use Dead-Eye to tag and shoot at least two (2) birds.
- Stop the bank wagon robbery.
- Destroy the banditos' roadblock.
- Escort bank wagon into town.
As the mission begins, Ricketts gives Marston a new Schofield Revolver and wants you to shoot three glass bottles with your dead eye mode. This is simple, just go into Dead eye and mark each of the bottles. After you do that, he tests your dead eye skills again. He fires a shot, disturbing a bunch of vultures, which take off from the roofs and walls. You must kill at least two of them with your dead eye mode activated. After that, Ricketts asks you to follow him into Chuparosa. When you enter the town, a scared bank employee runs to you and says that the bank cart, delivering cash to the bank, has been attacked by bandits. After this short cutscene, you must mount your horse and follow Ricketts to the cart. It is not far from the town, just a little way down the road. The cart is being robbed by three bandits — two of them are normal enemies with rifles and revolvers, while the third one is holding the cart driver as a hostage. After killing the two rifle-holding enemies, enter dead eye mode and target the third one in the head, because harming the cart driver will result as mission failure. After this short battle, the driver asks you to escort the cart back to the town. On the way back, three more bandits appear blocking the road. Kill them and finish escorting the cart back to Chuparosa.
- Main article: The Gunslinger's Tragedy/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills or abandons Landon Ricketts.
- Kills Landon's horse.
- Assaults or kills livestock.
- Does not use Dead-Eye to shoot the bottles.
- Does not use Dead-Eye to shoot the vultures.
- Allows the hostage to die.
- Assaults the hostage.
- Kills the horses of the carriage he's protecting.
- Strays too far from the mission location.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Fastest Time: 3:34
- Shot Accuracy: 78%
- Number of Headshots: 5
New Game Elements Introduced
- Dead-Eye Targeting Level 3
Mission Complete Unlockables
- Dead-Eye Targeting Level 3
- Schofield Revolver (gifted)
- If John starts this mission in a hatless oufit (i.e. Gentleman's Attire) then much like in the missions Wild Horses, Tamed Passions and The Burning John will be rendered with his hat on it for the first cutscene. This time it happens because a peasant takes John's hat off of his head and puts it on his own, with John later taking it back forcefully. When the next cutscene starts John will be hatless again.
- During the bottle-shooting part of the mission, you can shoot the bottle of a nearby drunk, who will proceed to shout in Spanish.
- The title of this mission could be a reference to the Grand Theft Auto IV mission "A Revenger's Tragedy".
- Avoid starting this mission near sundown; you'll find yourself trying to target the hostage-holding bandito with the setting sun right behind him, making him (and the hostage) extremely hard to see.
- For some strange reason, John is able to fire his Cattleman Revolver in a double-action manner on this mission even though it is a single-action weapon. This does not apply if the player has the Volcanic Pistol equipped.
- After John asks what Landon is waiting for in the second cutscene, Landon pauses before saying "I don't know..." with a watery eye. This could hint that he is somewhat afraid of death.
- There is a somewhat rare glitch when John and Landon are walking to their horses, Landon will pull out his revolver and start shooting at the horses.
- Landon Ricketts will occasionally use a Semi-Automatic Pistol during this mission.
- It is notable that the conversation that the peasants are having at the beginning of the cutscene while speaking in Spanish makes absolutely no sense. Incorrect tenses are used and synonyms of the same word are used immediately after the other. (See here for a rough translation.)
- The unknown bandito who confronts Marston appears in early trailers of the game, fighting in Tesoro Azul, although he can not be found anywhere in the actual game.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.