|“||I spent twenty-five years killing men. Look at me now. Sitting around here like some low rent would-be messiah. We're relics. C'mon, have yourself another drink and let's wallow in a little self-pity.||„|
To view the mission tree, see:
- Main article: Missions in Redemption/Tree
John Marston joins Landon Ricketts for a drink at the local bar in Chuparosa, and asks for more information on Javier Escuella. Ricketts says he doesn't have any information and proceeds to ask why Marston wants Javier so bad. The two exchange stories about their life, Marston explaining why he left his gang.
To complete this mission, the player must:
- Locate the prison wagon convoy.
- Eliminate the convoy guards and drivers without wrecking the wagons.
- Drive the wagons to the border with Ricketts.
- Fight his way across the bridge.
After the intro movie, the two leave the bar and head towards Escalera. After a while, an army convoy arrives, which the player must try to stop by taking over the first wagon. This is accomplished by killing all of the guards as well as the driver, without harming the wagon.
After taking control of the first wagon, the player needs to drive the prisoners back to American soil. At the bridge crossing over to America, there will be a heavy ambush with fire bottles, a Gatling gun, and general gunfire. The player does not need to stop and take out all enemies to complete the mission. There is some TNT on the bridges, which can be shot to kill most of the enemies.
After reaching America, the prisoners will be set loose and Ricketts will take over, sending Marston on his way.
This mission is the last one in the Landon Ricketts storyline.
- Main article: The Mexican Wagon Train/dialogues
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assaults, kills or abandons Landon Ricketts.
- Kills Landon's horse.
- Kills the horses pulling the wagons.
- Kills the prisoners.
- Strays too far from the mission location.
- Breaks the law.
- Kills a dog.
- Commits vandalism.
- Assaults or kills townsfolk.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Fastest Time: 3:55
- Shot Accuracy: 92%
- Number of Headshots: 7
New Game Elements Introduced
- Hijacking horses and vehicles
- Landon Ricketts may have never come back from America to Mexico once he escorted the prisoners to the U.S.A. at the end of the mission, since in the newspaper article (published in 1914) about Landon's death, it says that he spent the last three years of his life in the U.S.A., making the year he left Mexico 1911, which is also the year in which he escorts the prisoners into the U.S.A.
- There is a dialogue continuity conflict in this mission. There is a bit where Ricketts admonishes Marston for "jumping fences" and helping both the rebels and Allende. However, this mission can be completed without having done any of the missions given by Vincente de Santa, Luisa Fortuna, or Abraham Reyes.
- At the end of this mission, John and Ricketts part ways, so Ricketts never actually helped John in finding Williamson or Escuella.
- Rob Wiethoff, the voice actor for John Marston has said that this is his favorite mission in the game.
Completing this mission contributes toward the following Trophy/Achievement:
Attain 100% List in the singleplayer game completion list.