|“||Just do one thing or another, not be two people at once, that's all I'm saying.||„|
|—Arthur Morgan to John Marston|
John has a plan to rustle a herd of sheep and sell them at auction in Valentine.
The mission can be started by talking to John in the south part of Valentine. The player will then follow him to the gunsmith to buy a sniper rifle, the Rolling Block Rifle. Arthur will then follow John on horseback.
Once on the top of the cliff, the player will follow John's instructions and shoot the ground to scare the ranch hands. Arthur will ride to the herd and help wrangle the stragglers to the rest of the herd and will lead them to the auction house.
The auctioneer becomes suspicious of the sheep's origins and will argue with Arthur. John will then negotiate his requested 25% share down to 18% to prevent him from snitching. Arthur and John then meet up with Dutch at the nearby Keane's saloon.
Shown arguing with Strauss, Dutch beckons he and John collect the payment on the sheep before asking Arthur to join him for a drink. Shortly thereafter, Leviticus Cornwall arrives with an entourage of private guards outside the saloon, demanding Dutch to show himself. He has John and Strauss held outside as hostages. When the player goes outside, Dutch will begin to distract. After the guards have been dispatched, a firefight will then ensue in the town. While making a run through the main street, Strauss is shot and the gang is forced to grab a wagon to serve as cover and protect Strauss. Once the gang gets far enough, Arthur picks up Strauss and moves him to the back of John's horse. The player then escapes Valentine and the law, heading back to camp at Horseshoe Overlook.
Gold Medal Objectives
- Herd all the sheep in to the pen in Valentine.
- Get 25 headshots.
- Complete with at least 70% accuracy.
- Complete the mission without taking any health items.
- Cornwall‘s Henchmen - Killed by Dutch, John, and Arthur for trying to intimidate and kill the Van der Linde gang members.
- Valentine Lawmen - Can be killed by Arthur as he escapes the town and the pursuing law.
- Ranch Hands (optional) - Can be killed by Arthur from on top of the cliff.
The mission will fail if the player:
- Assault, kills or abandons John;
- Kills all of the sheep;
- Assault, kills, or abandons Dutch;
- Assault, kills, or abandons Strauss;
- Allows John, Strauss, or Dutch to die;
- Kills their horse;
Missable Items in the Mission
- Newsboy Cap
- This mission's title is taken from the title of the Parable of the Sheep and the Goats (which is actually more of a lesson of the coming of Christ to judge the world according to its deeds), included in Matthew 25:31-46.
- Even if the player has the money to purchase the rifle, the rifle will still be free. If the player doesn't have the money, Arthur will tell the gunsmith that he'll take it on credit. This dialogue doesn't trigger if the player has enough to purchase otherwise. Despite the gunsmith telling Arthur to pay him later, the player isn't required to after the mission.
- One of Arthur's lines can be reflected upon in the epilogue in either "Fatherhood, For Idiots" or "Jim Milton Rides, Again?" (whichever mission was completed first before the other).
- After this mission, Valentine will be on lockdown.