The Hutton & Baird Volcanic Pistol combines the stopping power of a repeating rifle with the portability of a sidearm. Although the accuracy is good, the slow firing rate and reload speed mean that you'd better hit your target with the first shot. This gun has an ammo capacity of eight rounds, and can use Regular, High Velocity, Split Point, Express and Explosive pistol ammo.
This pistol is available from all gunsmiths after completing the mission "Eastward Bound". Alternatively, it is free for players who purchased the Special or Ultimate editions of Red Dead Redemption 2.
In Red Dead Online, the pistol becomes available for purchase after reaching Rank 21.
- The player can acquire an extra one from various places across the map. Cornwall's men at Central Union Railroad possess one, as do the workers at Appleseed Timber Company. If the protagonist is already in possession of this weapon, they can get an extra one from several random encounters, such as the boastful dueler in Rhodes, the man being kicked by a horse, a shootout at Castor's Ridge, as well as the drunken dueler in Valentine and Van Horn Trading Post.
- While rapid-firing the Volcanic, the character will grip the barrel like a repeater rifle.
- In real life, extending the barrel would allow more rounds to be loaded in the tube magazine. This does not happen in the game.
- The Volcanic is one of two pistols which isn't reloaded with a magazine, the other being the Mauser. Instead, it is reloaded one round at a time similar to Revolvers and Repeaters. It is correctly shown as reloaded from the under-barrel magazine tube near the muzzle, rather than through the breach like in the first Redemption.
- In real life, the Rocket Ball ammunition that the Volcanic used was very weak, despite the in-game version being known for its power.