|“||A bunch of two-bit hoodlums, led by this fella called Walton. Goddamn road agents who prey on the stages comin' in and out of town. Drivers in Armadillo spend more time with their hands in the air than on the reins these days.||„|
|—Leigh Johnson, describing Walton's Gang.
Walton's gang was founded by Walton Lowe at some point between 1907 and 1911. By 1911, Walton's Gang is one of the most dangerous gangs found in New Austin, due to its ruthlessness and control over a large amount of territory in Cholla Springs.
Events of Red Dead Redemption
After Lowe's death - which is reported in the newspaper regardless of whether the player killed him - the gang continues to function. Many of its members can be found in the saloon in Armadillo, and they can also function as bounty targets.
Events of Undead Nightmare
Note: The events of Undead Nightmare are not considered part of the same canon as Red Dead Redemption. The following description is therefore not contiguous with the preceding section on Red Dead Redemption.
Walton's Gang can be found committing crimes all over New Austin, mostly Cholla Springs and Gaptooth Ridge. They use Twin Rocks as a gang hideout, they drink in the Armadillo saloon and some members gamble at Rathskeller Fork. They can also be seen inhabiting Pleasance House in a mission for Leigh Johnson, though this is not a permanent location for the gang.
Members of the Walton's Gang stand out due to their top hats and matching scarves. After completing the set requirements, the player can unlock the Walton's Gang Outfit and dress as a member of the gang.
The following is a list of known members of Walton's Gang, other than Walton Lowe:
- Alfie Scruggs
- Cody Witlow
- Cooper Reed
- Dale Chesson
- Link Huston
- Mo van Barr
- Perry Rose
- Rufus Higbee
- Woody Swenson
- Walton's name may be a reference to the real world Dalton Gang, a gang lead by four brothers who undertook numerous bank and train robberies in the early 1890s.
- They appear to take inspiration from the Natives, a gang from the movie Gangs of New York, as the Natives wear matching top hats with a blue stripe rather than a red one.
- While doing the Fightin' Around the World Trophies/Achievements, the player is recommended to wear their gang outfit, as Marston will pass as one of their own until he eventually takes an aggressive action against them.
- If the player points a gun at a gang member in Armadillo and shoots him non-lethally, any lawman who is in the vicinity will attack the criminal immediately and usually kill them. Alternatively, if the player does shoot them lethally, they will not lose any Honor or gain a bounty.
- The Gang members in Armadillo live in a small camp on the north side of the town. There are a couple of blankets, a box, and a lantern. Link Huston and Woody Swenson usually go there after they leave the bar.
- The Walton's Gang's hat can be purchased in PlayStation Home on the PS3 for use with the player's avatar.
- Walton's gang is the only gang to have two playable legendary characters. Rufus Higbee and Link Huston.
- Walton's gang owns the most hideouts in single player.