Weapons Expert Challenges are gameplay challenges which involve using a variety of different weapons in various ways in the single-player of Red Dead Redemption 2.
These challenges must be done in order, progress made before they are activated does not count.
- Rank 1: Kill three enemies with a knife.
- Rank 2: Kill three enemies in 10 seconds using only throwing knives.
- Rank 3: Kill three birds of prey using only a tomahawk.
- Rank 4: Kill 10 enemies with a shotgun using crafted ammo.
- Rank 5: Kill five mounted enemies, using one throwing knife per kill.
- Rank 6: Kill four enemies at the same time with a single stick of dynamite.
- Rank 7: Kill four consecutive enemies by throwing and retrieving the same tomahawk.
- Rank 8: Kill 15 enemies using a long-barrelled sidearm.
- Rank 9: Kill nine unaware enemies from behind, using the bow.
- Rank 10: Kill a grizzly bear without taking damage, using only throwing knives.
- Kill three enemies with a knife.
Reward: Weapons Expert Holster
This rank can be easily achieved during normal gameplay as multiple missions require the player to use stealth kills to advance.
- Kill three enemies in 10 seconds using only throwing knives.
Reward: 25 Health XP and $5
Replaying the mission 'Paying a Social Call' in Chapter 2, where Throwing Knives are unlocked, can be an easy way to complete this challenge. At the beginning there are 3 O'Driscolls with their back to you, simply dead eye and aim for the head then pull the trigger.
Players can also hogtie three enemies at a gang hideout, or when completing a bounty hunting side mission where there are multiple enemies. Place them all together in one spot and stand very close to the bodies, keeping in mind to aim for the head.
Despite its title saying "enemies", this challenge can also be accomplished on animals, like the group of chickens at Emerald Ranch.
- Kill three birds of prey using only a tomahawk.
Reward: Weapons Expert Gun Belt
Ravens, which are commonly found across the map, can be killed for this challenge. An easy way to kill a raven is to kill a deer, and place its body in an open field where it is easily visible to the player as well as in range so that the tomahawk will lock on to ravens feasting on the carcass. When the bird lands, sneak up closer to it and lock on and throw the tomahawk. Be sure not to spook the birds as tomahawks do not lock on well when targets are in the air. Stay in the area and repeat until the challenge criteria is met.
Alternatively, eagles and owls spawn resting in fixed spots on the map, so whenever the player finds a spot where they can easily hit the birds, they can pinpoint the location and then just wait for the bird to spawn again. An example of place where an eagle usualy spawn by daytime and can be easily hit is the end of the dock at Swadbass Point; and owls can be easily found by nightime resting on the rooftop of isolated houses and shacks, like Catfish Jackson's and the Veteran's homestead.
- Kill 10 enemies with a shotgun using crafted ammo.
Reward: 50 Health XP and $10
The easiest way to achieve this is to find a gang hideout and use incendiary or explosive shotgun ammunition. Hideouts such as Thieves' Landing and Hanging Dog Ranch contain many enemies that will count for the challenge and make it easier to complete.
- Kill five mounted enemies, using one throwing knife per kill.
Reward: 50 Health XP and $10
Approach a stranger on a horse and antagonize them until they pull out a gun. Then use Dead Eye to aim for their head with your throwing knife.
Also, this can be accomplished by commiting a small crime in public, getting a bounty, and then wait in the wild for bounty hunters to appear. As most of them usually spawn on horseback, honor loss shall only count for the crime (unless the player decides to kill mounted lawmen during the escape).
- Kill four enemies at the same time with a single stick of dynamite.
Reward: 100 Health XP and $15
O'Driscoll camps can be easily found south of 'Heartlands' text on the map (only before the epilogue, however); Lemoyne Raiders' camps south of Bolger Glade east of Braithwaite Manor; and Skinner camps all around the Tall Trees regions after the epilogue.
- Kill four consecutive enemies by throwing and retrieving the same tomahawk.
Reward: Weapons Expert Off-Hand Holster
Same as with Rank 6 but make sure their heads are very clear of any obstacles. Use dead-eye and stand approximately 10 feet away to ensure you can get a headshot for a one hit kill.
Throw all but one tomahawk away (into a tree or crate nearby to retrieve later) to ensure it is the same tomahawk being thrown.
- One thing to note for this challenge is that animals that are considered "enemies" to the player (such as wolves, bears, and cougars) count for this challenge. This also means that if you kill these animals with anything other than a tomahawk, your progress on the challenge will reset.
- Kill 15 enemies using a long-barreled sidearm.
Reward: 100 Health XP and $15
Again, if the player wishes to save time and not lose honor, the best rival gang hideouts which have these amount of enemies are Hanging Dog Ranch and Beaver Hollow before the epilogue; and Gaptooth Ridge and Fort Mercer after the epilogue.
- Kill nine unaware enemies from behind, using the bow.
Reward: 150 Health XP and $20
This can take a while, because of how stealth mechanics work. Either seek out enemy gang camps and kill one of the enemies (Which will immediately alert everyone else to your presence, meaning you can get only 1 kill from each camp), go to gang hideouts and kill a few enemies with the bow (again, one bad shot will alert everyone), or replay the missions Paying a Social Call or The King's Son which require the use of stealth.
Another option is to travel to Fort Mercer and shoot the guard standing to the left of the southern entrance, which will alert the other enemies. Ride away to the west of the fort until the red dots on the radar disappear. Return to the fort and repeat the process until the challenge is complete.
- Kill a grizzly bear without taking damage, using only throwing knives.
Reward: Weapons Expert Bandolier
It is recommended to use poison throwing knives and keep a distance until the bear collapses from poison.
There is a random event at Cairn Lake to help a hunter find his friend. Follow the hunter when he goes to check his friend and a bear will attack him. The player will not be targeted by the bear until the hunter is dead, giving plenty of time to throw as many (poison) knives as possible.