There are a variety of weapons available in Red Dead Redemption 2. They are essential to survival, as well as an integral part of everyday life in the American West. Players will be able to modify their weapons to fit aesthetic appeal and play-style, from visual upgrades like new metals, woods, varnishes, and engravings to performance upgrades like new barrels, grips, sights, and scopes.
There are over 50 unique usable weapons, a range of options for customization, and a selection of different ammunition types to improve accuracy, range, or damage. The more a gun is used, the better it will perform, but it will also start to degrade over time if not looked after, so a sidearm needs to be kept oiled and clean.
Numbered values in the following tables are the weapon stats based on its condition, these range from its default stats, modified, degraded or cleaned conditions. 1.0 is the lowest value for a firearm stat and 4.0 is the highest. Numbered values marked in italicized red text is the maximum value of a stat, which is achieved when a weapon is customized, in good condition, high familiarity and certain ammo.
|Weapon||Indicates the name of the firearm.|
|Dmg||Indicates the damage the firearm can inflict onto a target.|
|Rng||Indicates the range or the distance the firearm can reach onto a target; how far the firearm can shoot before losing effectivity.|
|F.R.||Indicates the firing rate the firearm can shoot its bullets; how fast the firearm can fire.|
|Acc||Indicates the accuracy the firearm can hit its target; how exact the firearm can manage to land a hit.|
|Rel||Indicates the reloading speed the firearm can cycle ammunition; how fast the firearm is reloaded.|
|Cost||Indicates the general price of the firearm.|
|Model||Indicates the real-life model the firearm is based upon.|
Pistols and Revolvers
These weapons can be dual-wielded. They generally have short ranges and a high firing rate. The main difference between pistols and revolvers is that pistols tend to have a higher rate of fire and a higher ammo capacity, while revolvers tend to have greater damage and more accuracy. Assuming the weapon is in good condition without customizations and familiarity boosts, each weapon's stats are as follows:
|Cattleman Revolver||1.7||2.0/2.8||3.0/3.0||2.8||2.7||6||50||Colt Model 1873 Single Action Army Revolver|
|Double-Action Revolver||1.5||2.0/2.8||3.2||2.0||2.8/3.2||6||65||Colt New Model 1892 Army & Navy Revolver|
|High Roller Double-Action Revolver||1.5||2.0||3.2||2.8||2.0||6||190||Colt New Model 1892 Army & Navy Revolver|
|John's Cattleman Revolver||1.7/2.7||2.0/2.8||3.0/3.0||2.8||2.7||6||U||Colt Model 1873 Single Action Army Revolver|
|LeMat Revolver||3/4||2.9/4||3.9/4||2.4/4||2.7/4||9 (Revolver Ammo)
1 (Shotgun Ammo)
|M1899 Pistol||1.5||2.0||3.1||3.2||2.8||8||350||FN Modele 1899|
|Mauser Pistol||1.4||2.0/2.8||3.1/3.1||2.6||3.0/3.3||10||250||Mauser C96 Pistol|
|Midnight's Pistol||1.4||2.0/2.8||3.1/3.1||2.6||3.0/3.4||10||U||Mauser C96 Pistol|
|Otis Miller's Revolver||1.9/2.9||2.0||2.8||3.0||2.5/3.0||6||U|
|Schofield Revolver||1.9||2.0/2.8||2.8/2.8||3.0||2.5/3.0||6||84||Smith & Wesson Model 3 "Schofield" Revolver|
|Semi-Automatic Pistol||1.2/2.2||2.0/2.8||3.3/3.3||2.7||3.1/3.6||8||210||Borchardt C-93 Pistol|
|Volcanic Pistol||2.2/3.2||2.0/2.8||2.0/2.0||3.0||2.2||8||150||Smith and Wesson 1855 Volcanic Pistol|
Rifles and Repeaters
The weapons of choice for the medium-to-long range gunfight. They also can be equipped with scopes to assist players in shooting from a distance. The repeaters are well-rounded firearms with decent damages, high rates of fire and large ammo capacities. The rifles, with exception of Varmint Rifle, provide the greatest damage out of all firearms. Nevertheless, their low rate of fire and small ammo capacities make them ill-suited for the close range firefight.
Note: Players are forced to look through a scope when they take aim with Carcano Rifle or Rolling Block Rifle.
|Bolt Action Rifle||2.9||3.0/4.0||1.5/1.5||3.2||2.2/2.5||5||180||Norwegian Model 1894 Krag-Jørgensen|
|Carbine Repeater||2.4||2.7||2.0/2.3||2.8||3.0/3.4||7||90||Spencer Model 1865 Carbine|
|Carcano Rifle||3.1||3.3/4.0||1.5/1.5||3.2||2.8/3.2||6||190||Carcano Model 91/38 Short Rifle|
|Evans Repeater||2.0||2.6||2.6||3.0||2.5||26||300||Evans Repeating Rifle|
|Lancaster Repeater||2.2||2.8||2.0/2.3||2.9||2.8/3.2||14||135||Winchester Model 1866|
|Litchfield Repeater||2.8||2.8||2.2/2.0||2.7||3.0/3.0||16||145||1860 Henry Repeating Rifle|
|Rare Rolling Block Rifle||3.5/4.0||3.5/4.0||1.2||3.4||1.9/1.9||1||U||Remington Rolling Block Rifle|
|Rolling Block Rifle||3.5/4.0||3.5/4.0||1.2/1.2||3.6||1.9||1||187||Remington Rolling Block Rifle|
|Springfield Rifle||3.2/4.0||3.0/4.0||1.2/1.2||3.1||1.8/2.1||1||120||Springfield Model 1873 "Trapdoor" Carbine|
|Varmint Rifle||1.6||2.8/3.2||2.8/2.5||2.9||3.2/2.8||14||72||Winchester Model 1890|
The shotguns are unmatched when it comes to inflicting damage at close range. This characteristic make them a good choice for clearing enemies out of rooms and buildings.
Note: the Sawed-off Shotgun occupies a holster/handgun slot.
|Double-barreled Shotgun||2.8||1.5/2.0||2.5/2.5||1.8||2.0/2.0||95||Remington Model 1889|
|Pump-action Shotgun||2.5||1.2/2.0||2.0/2.0||2.5||2.5/2.5||148||Winchester Model 1897 Shotgun|
|Rare Shotgun||2.8||1.2/1.9||2.5/2.3||1.5||1.2/2.2||95||Remington Model 1889|
|Repeating Shotgun||2.5/3.4||1.5/2.0||2.0/2.0||2.2||2.5/2.9||185||Winchester Model 1887|
|Sawed-off Shotgun||2.8/3.6||1.2/1.3||2.3/2.3||2.0||2.0/2.0||85||Remington Model 1889|
|Semi-auto Shotgun||2.2||1.2/2.0||2.5/2.3||2.5||1.2/2.6||225||Browning Auto-5 Shotgun|
Note: Some weapons, such as Hatchet and Cleaver, can be thrown.
|Broken Pirate Sword||2.1||0.5|
|Civil War Knife||2.0||0.5|
|Double Bit Hatchet||2.3||1.0|
|Rusted Double Bit Hatchet||2.3||1.0|
|Rusted Hunter Hatchet||2.3||1.0|
As of update 1.21, the Stone Hatchet can no longer be found in the weapon section of the compendium.
There are currently two weapons and a customization option for Red Dead Redemption 2 weapons that can only be found in Grand Theft Auto Online:
- The gold metal and pearl grip customizations for the Double-action Revolver can only be unlocked in the Grand Theft Auto Online update The Doomsday Heist. A version of the weapon is acquired in a secret Treasure Hunt mission, and if a challenge to get 50 head shot kills is completed, the skin can be unlocked in Red Dead Redemption 2 via the Social Club.
- The Stone Hatchet can be found in the Grand Theft Auto Online update After Hours, it can be acquired by the player in a secret Treasure Hunt mission and if a challenge to get 25 kills is completed, it can also be unlocked in Red Dead Redemption 2 if their social club account is assigned to their game. It can be found at the Native Burial in West Elizabeth.
- Lowry's Revolver, a unique Navy Revolver, can be found after solving the "Los Santos Slasher" mystery in Grand Theft Auto Online. After acquiring the GTA Online Navy Revolver and killing 50 NPCs or players in said game with it, Lowry's Revolver becomes available in Red Dead Online. It can be found in a lockbox in Lucky's Cabin.
Tips and Tricks
- The more each weapon is used, the higher the familiarity will be. Higher familiarity will increase the weapon's range, reload speed, and accuracy.
- Degradation only affects holstered or carried guns.
- The degradation rate will be increased greatly when the guns are immersed in mud or water.
- The bow will not be degraded in any situation. This makes it a logical weapon in the case that players must wade through waist-high water or swamps for a long period.
- Firearms can be cleaned at gunsmith shops under the customisation menu. Having them cleaned in the stores can be cheaper than using gun oil, but gun oil enables quick maintenance from anywhere in the game world. Note that unique guns cannot be cleaned by the gunsmith since they cannot be customised and do not appear in the firearms selection.
- Most NPCs carry worn versions of the standard weapons. These differ from their normal versions in that they cannot be customized at a Gunsmith, and their condition can't be improved with gun oil to a full four bars. While most worn weapons will be discarded by the player character once they mount their horse, some will be kept if they aren't owned yet. Because worn weapons still contribute to a weapons familiarity, this can be used to increase your familiarity or dual-wield weapons that for whatever reason haven't been acquired yet. These worn weapons will be discarded once the standard weapon (or two of the standard weapon if they are sidearms) are acquired.
- In many cases, general NPCs in gang hideouts will shoot at players only if they are within an effective range of their firearms. For example, if players shoot NPCs from a sufficiently long distance, they will simply take cover instead of firing back.
- Since an update patch 1.20, The Weapon Locker from Red Dead Online has been added to Story Mode, allowing players to remove any unused weapons from their horse.
Finding and/or buying all weapons can net you these trophies/achievements:
Upgrade each available component for a single sidearm or longarm weapon
Spend $5000 across all shops
Complete one of the Collectible strands
Attain 100% Completion.
- Uncover the Double-Action Revolver: "Rumors of a lost relic from the frontier have begun to surface, and treasure awaits those bold enough to seek it. Keep an eye on your iFruit for a special in-game email containing the first clue, then follow the trail to unlock the Double-Action Revolver in GTA Online. Once you acquire your gratis Double-Action Revolver, complete the Headshot Challenge in Freemode for a GTA$250,000 reward and unlock it for future gun-slinging exploits in Red Dead Redemption 2 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."